We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Days in London

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
10 Days in London

I'm planning going to London the beginning of June. The plan is just to see all the major tourist attractions. We also plan on doing day trips out to Manchester, Cardiff and maybe Paris.

Any suggestions on hotels? I am currently thinking about Grand Plaza Serviced Apartments in Paddington area or Dolphin House in the Victoria-Westminster area. Which is more centrally located?

Thanks.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,763 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 10 Days in London

Have a look at Citidines. Rates might be a tad above your budget but their Trafalgar Square (Northumberland Avenue) location is as central as you can get. Holborn might also work being nearer to St Pancras (for Eurostar) and Euston (for trains to Manchester).

citadines.com/en/…trafalgar_square.html

The Grand Plaza will be handy for Paddington and Cardiff. The Dolphin Square is arguably a nicer property in a more pleasant location but journey times to railway stations would be a little longer.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
58,726 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 10 Days in London

>>>We are going to Cardiff to see the Dr. Who museum.<<<

Again, an excellent reason for going if one or both of you are fans of the programme!

nys
Level Contributor
197 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 10 Days in London

You might enjoy staying overnight in Manchester. We went to Old Trafford for an Olympic football (soccer)game from London, and enjoyed seeing the city too. It is a nice trip on the train. A new football (soccer) museum had just opened, and they have a nice mall. Our hotel was nice and quite cheap. There is a large statue of Queen Victoria to see, and good public transport in the city. There were also various free soccer stalls set up in the city where you could try your skills too. I don't know whether they were just there for the Olympics or not, but they were run by Man U..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 10 Days in London

How about studios2let?

They have two locations near Kings Cross and Euston stations. Cartwright Gardens and North Gower Street.

http://serviced.studios2let.com/location

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: 10 Days in London

Thanks. I'm booking through Expedia and don't see studios2let listed.

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 10 Days in London

Amy!

I can definitely recommend going to Paris as opposed to going to Manchester. I agree with Judy in that you would have a nice time in Bath, but Bath is probably just as expensive to get to as Paris is, and Paris is a lovely city.

Travelling to Paris from St Pancras is a really good experience and you can book up to five months in advance. When I went to paris last year, I managed to get my ticket (one way) for £37.50. This is a good price considering that prices can range anywhere between that and £120+ per person one way! You can get return deals to Paris for £69pp which is a good thing to do and they are taking bookings for June now, so it's something you need to start planning if you want to be able to do it as cheap as possible. The best thing to do would be to get the earliest train there and the latest train back, or stay overnight in Paris. I stayed at Ibis Styles Gare de l'est ex TGV all Seasons in Montmarte, approximately a 10 minute walk from Gare du Nord, where the Eurostar takes you. All worth considering, but something seriously worth acting on sooner rather than later, otherwise it may not be feasible in terms of cost.

Just go to eurostar.com to have a look at possible dates to visit and see what the prices are and go from there.

If you are going to go to Manchester, return fares on the train can be expensive and the train departs from Euston. The journey is 2hrs 39mins and will set you back £80pp if you travel 'off peak'. If you want to be able to travel at 'anytime' a ticket will set you back £321pp! NationalRail.co.uk will give you fares and details of any train journey in the UK.

Another option to consider is travelling by coach. coach.nationalexpress.com offer cheap deals to travel to a wide variety of places in the UK. Early morning fares to Manchester in June start at £10pp one way and take approx. four and a half hours to get there. This may be a perfect option for you if you are on a budget. If this is something you plan to do, accommodation wise the most sensible option would be to stay in Central London in between Euson and London Victoria. If you did do a day trip to Paris, Kings Cross St. Pancras station is not far from Euston.

Happy Travels

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,347 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 10 Days in London

"If you are going to go to Manchester, return fares on the train can be expensive and the train departs from Euston. The journey is 2hrs 39mins and will set you back £80pp if you travel 'off peak'. "

Trains to Manchester actually only take 2 hours 7 mins and the cheapest advance fares are as little as £12.50 one way.

www.virgintrains.co.uk

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
756 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 10 Days in London

I would also travel on a Saturday so that you are not hit by off peak restrictions which can eat into your day. Cardiff is doable even in the week as the train journey is not that long but you will need to get a bus to the Cardiff bay area to see the Dr Who exhibition. It's not a long trip and you will not spend that long seeing the Dr Who exhibits. Perhaps the rest of the time could be spent visiting Cardiff castle or the National Museum of Wales to complete the day.

Paris really is not a day trip from London as you will not do it justice and remember you are going to a different country on a different time zone with a different currency. After two longer days it may be better to do a shorter one such as Windsor or if the weather is kind Brighton for a taste of the English seaside.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: 10 Days in London

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think i will skip Paris then and just stick to day trips to Manchester and Cardiff. How far in advance should I book train tickets?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,307 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: 10 Days in London

Cheapest Advance fares are released around 12 weeks ahead of travel but this isn't hard and fast. Best to sign up for alerts or check the operator sites (Virgin for Manchester, First Great Western for Cardiff.

www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/…

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/