We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which train station is closest to London eye or Big Ben?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which train station is closest to London eye or Big Ben?

I am taking the First Great Western train into London and we want to be as close as possible to the London Eye or Big Ben. It seems as though the Waterloo station is the closest but I wanted to make sure before I bought our tickets.

Thanks so much!

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,965 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which train station is closest to London eye or Big Ben?

FGW don't run into Waterloo, they run into Paddington. From there you will need to take the Circle line Tube to Westminster, for which you will need a Travelcard or Oyster. Depending on where you are coming from you may be able to purchase a combined train ticket//Travelcard from you origin station.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which train station is closest to London eye or Big Ben?

Sorry mistake

Edited: 9:08 am, March 18, 2014
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,881 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which train station is closest to London eye or Big Ben?

First Great Western services come into London Paddington, and London Paddington only - you don't get a choice. From London Paddington you take the Bakerloo Line to Waterloo (for the London Eye). You can also transfer from the Bakerloo Line at Baker Street for the Jubilee Line to Westminster.

Alternatively, if you want to come into London Waterloo, you can transfer to the South West Trains service at Reading. This is a longer journey though, as the Reading - London Waterloo trains only run every 30 minutes and take one hour 20 minutes for the journey (by contrast, if you stay on the fast Great Western train you will reach London Paddington 25 minutes after leaving Reading). Also the South West Traisn route is more prone to disruption at weekends due to engineering work.

Edited: 9:09 am, March 18, 2014
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which train station is closest to London eye or Big Ben?

OP is coming from Bath.

If you buy a ticket to London Waterloo, you'll get a ticket that takes you to Paddington and then onward by tube to Waterloo.... actually for Big Ben you want Westminster, for the Eye Waterloo or Westminster and then walk across Westminster Bridge to the Eye. Your ticket would take you to either, it wont say "Waterloo" on it it will say "Zone 1"

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Which train station is closest to London eye or Big Ben?

Thank you all so much. As a first-time traveler, I am overwhelmed by all the options of travel.

So to clarify, I will buy 2 different tickets - one for FGW from Bath to Paddington and then a ticket for the tube from Paddington to Westminster?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
47,998 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which train station is closest to London eye or Big Ben?

You can do that, yes. You can also get a ticket through to Undergorund Zone 1, but if you have, or are going to get an Oyster card for use in London, then it will be cheaper to do it seperately.

It would be quicker to go via Paddington, but f you have a walk up rail ticket it will be valid to change at Reading for the longer journey to Waterloo, if you have plenty of time to spare and want to do it. I don't recommend it, though. The journey seems to take forever! But when I lived in Reading I found it was soemtimes quicker to travel this way and avoid the hassle of central London if I was going somewhere south of the Thames.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,225 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which train station is closest to London eye or Big Ben?

I would get the fast train to Paddington and the tube (Bakerloo/Jublee line as described) to Westminster. When you select your train on the First Great Western site and go through the booking process you will get an option to select a travelcard for which you will need a zone1-2. This will cover you for all your travel in those zones in London for the rest of the day on all modes of transport - bus/tube etc.

If you want to get an Oyster card instead, if you are staying in London for longer for example you can get this at the tube station at Paddington. There is a £5 refundable deposit and you ask for it to be loaded with pay as you go, a travelcard or both depending on the rest of your itinerary.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,185 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which train station is closest to London eye or Big Ben?

You would do well to go to Westminster Underground station (and walk afterwards to the Eye).

The sight of Big Ben as you mount the last flight of steps from station to street is one of the iconic views of London. If I had £1 for all the "wows" I've heard there, I'd be rich.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,225 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which train station is closest to London eye or Big Ben?

MIssed edit time.

At Westminster, assuming you do this route, take exit 4 (Bridge St). Big Ben will be your view as you exit, turn left and Westminster Bridge will be ahead of you with the Eye on the south of the river slightly to your left.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
47,998 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which train station is closest to London eye or Big Ben?

>>>You would do well to go to Westminster Underground station (and walk afterwards to the Eye).

The sight of Big Ben as you mount the last flight of steps from station to street is one of the iconic views of London. If I had £1 for all the "wows" I've heard there, I'd be rich.<<<

I agree with this!