We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The British Perspective to the American Revolution

Texas
Level Contributor
6,724 posts
219 reviews
The British Perspective to the American Revolution

This might be a crazy question, but here goes. #wink

The Mr. & I are lovers of history and enjoyed our visits to both Boston & Newport RI last summer where we soaked up the history from the American Revolution. It was interesting to realize that not everyone wanted their independence from Britain or that some of the taxes weren't as unjust as our Fore Fathers would have wanted us to believe. We would be interested in the British point of view. Is there any such tour?

Also, the Mr is interested in seeing a Red Coat. Is there anywhere to see one?

Thanks in advance for any input you might offer! :)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,952 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: The British Perspective to the American Revolution

"Is there any such tour?"

In London?

I'd be careful what you ask for (your original question). It could descend into stereotypical comments about the "yanks", white trainers, shortening street names in London to just "Liverpool, Oxford and Gloucester" and how you don't know the proper word for soccer.

USBT - a dual UK/US citizen who admires the best of both countries. :-)

ps - lots of soldiers in London wear red coats. Buckingham Palace, Horse Guards, the guards and occasionally the yeoman warders at the Tower. All modern day ceremonial uniforms of course.

Edited: 12:44 am, January 29, 2014
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,831 posts
235 reviews
2. Re: The British Perspective to the American Revolution

If cost was not a problem, I am sure there is a Blue Badge guide that could address this topic.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,560 posts
3. Re: The British Perspective to the American Revolution

When I was there, I bought some tea at a few places and never made a fuss over the VAT.

Seriously though, maybe you can go find a painting of King George III.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,993 posts
115 reviews
4. Re: The British Perspective to the American Revolution

Obviously not an exhibition but a look at it through UK eyes and the BBC ..

bbc.co.uk/history/…rebels_redcoats_01.shtml

California
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: The British Perspective to the American Revolution

You could read "Iron Tears" for a British perspective.

www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php…

Found this as well:

http://www.redcoat.me.uk/Rev-War.htm

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
44,230 posts
50 reviews
6. Re: The British Perspective to the American Revolution

The average Brit will know little or nothing about the revolution. I don't recall ever being taught about it at school and films such as the laughable 'Revolution' with Mel Gibson (an Aussie) didn't exactly have us rushing to the multiplex.

And of course we lost...

If you do want to get a sense of history from an enactment point of view then you should head back to the 1640's and our own Civil War which is celebrated during the year by the Sealed Knot society - http://www.thesealedknot.org.uk/

Edited: 3:10 am, January 29, 2014
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,337 posts
281 reviews
7. Re: The British Perspective to the American Revolution

I can't believe there is any such tour as it the idea doesn't relate to specific places, so there isn't anywhere to tour.

You could certainly find historical documents and portraits, as well as artefacts of the period, but I'm not sure how much light they would cast. The documents might not be on display either, it might be a matter of academic research.

London, United...
Level Contributor
631 posts
81 reviews
8. Re: The British Perspective to the American Revolution

+1 to Adamhornets. The American revolution would be seen (rightly or not) as mainly your history not ours! Generally here it would inspire a big "meh" from most Brits! I do remember being in the US a few years ago in July and being asked "How do you celebrate Independence Day?"...

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,029 posts
23 reviews
9. Re: The British Perspective to the American Revolution

I agree with Adam ; I can't recall it bring much more than a footnote in the history I studied at school. We did seem to hear a lot about some famous victories over the French though:)

I probably learned more about the subject on my short visit to Boston than at school in London.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
10. Re: The British Perspective to the American Revolution

I've heard a snippet here or there but it's usually an event used to provide context. There's never been a huge focus.

There may be some paintings related to the revolution in the National Gallery or the Tate Britain. I have found both places receptive to my emails when I've had specific enquiries, so you may want to contact them.

Edited: 3:21 am, January 29, 2014