We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cambridge questions

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
spain
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cambridge questions

Hi! 3 questions:

- A good and tourist map of Cambridge?

- What have we visit in one day?

- Which transport from Cambridge station to the centre?

Thank you again!!!

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cambridge questions

1. Available at whichever hostel or hotel or B&B you decide to stay at. Also they have that Sightseeing bus (the open deck red double decker) so those sightseeing maps are all over the place for free, including the Railway station if I'm not mistaken.

2. Depends - I had a not so good experience of Cambridge because I visited it last week of May and all the colleges were closed (for exams?) so I couldn't visit any of them. I just had to see them from outside and take pix. You definitely want to punt the Cam. As touristy as some people claim it is, I thoroughly enjoyed it and would whole heartedly recommend it to anyone. Besides the weather was perfect during the punt, and most punters are experts in the area and give you interesting insights of the place. I didn't spend much time but walking from college to college and taking the punt took me about 2/3rds of the day. Besides, Cambridge has quite a good no. of bakeries so I couldn't stop myself from walking into one every few hours and digging on chocolate and other confectionaries.

3. Depends on where you're staying. I'd say take a cab or a bus to the city centre if you've got luggage. I stayed @ the closeby YHA (which is about 15 mins walk from the city centre, 5 mins walk from the railway staiton) and the place where YHA is located also has tons of B&Bs and stuff. I'd personally think you're better off staying in this part b'cos it's really close to the station and yet walkable to the city.

Just check if colleges are open for visiting. Else, I really think you're better off coming some other time.

spain
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cambridge questions

thanks!!we only will stay one day.

spain
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cambridge questions

thanks!!we only will stay one day.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cambridge questions

susarugi: Lots of different maps on this link, including city center, if you work the tools right: http://www.cam.ac.uk/map/

Definitely visit Fitzwilliam Museum, but don't tie your shoes any where near artwork:

tripadvisor.com/…2613589

spain
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cambridge questions

thanks lee,wow!!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
849 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cambridge questions

The tourist office in town has walking tours. We've taken the longer one (about 2 hours) and the one that's half walking tour and half punting on the Cam. I recommend taking the longer walking tour because there is just so much to see and the guides (I think they are volunteers) are so knowledgeable. Then arrange the punting on your own or through the tourist office. I think the company the operated the punts is called Skudmore, but it's been a while and I couldn't find it on the Internet.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cambridge questions

Susarugi - were you just planning a daytrip? I assumed you were, in which case Vikram's advice to get a map at your hotel won't work... :) But I would think, as he says, that you can probably get one at the station, or else at the tourist information centre in the centre of town. Otherwise this is quite a good map (it's the one provided by the university), at least if you want to get your bearings a bit before you set off -

http://www.cam.ac.uk/map/v3/drawmap.cgi?mp=main;xx=1900;yy=1040;sx=5;gf=png

You can move it up and down with the arrows at the top - the station is just off the map to the southeast.

Vikram, yes, the colleges will have been closed at the end of May because of exams / revision. When are you going, Susarugi? It's the summer vacation now - very few undergraduate students around, mostly graduate students and summer school people. I can't think of any reason why the colleges should be closed at the moment, although there's no guarantee that one might not close for some special occasion. And I know that Trinity Hall isn't open to visitors at the moment because of building work. But for the most part they should be open, although their opening hours can be a bit unpredictable.

So, for a day... you can wander around some colleges - some charge an entrance fee. The most 'famous' are probably King's (especially King's Chapel), Trinity and St John's, but lots of the others are also very picturesque. Taking a punt (boat) down the river is a really good plan, it's a really nice way to see Cambridge. If you're feeling energetic, go into St Mary's Church (in front of the Market Sq) and climb to the top of the tower - great views. If it's a nice day, I would buy sandwiches etc for lunch and go and have a picnic on Jesus Green by the river.

It's about 20 - 30 minutes' walk from the train station to the centre of town. It's an easy walk, pretty much straight down a main road. But if you only have a day there you probably don't have that time to waste, so I would take a bus (taxi really isn't worth the money unless you really have VERY heavy bags!). There are four buses that you can take from Cambridge station - the Citi 1 towards Arbury; the Citi 3 towards Fison Road; the Citi 7 towards Cottenham, and a 'special' blue double decker bus with "Cambridge Blue" written on the side that just goes from the station to the town centre and back.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cambridge questions

.... that will teach me to write such a long post, beaten to it on several counts!

:)

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cambridge questions

PS the punting company is Scudamores

I really will leave this thread alone now!

spain
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cambridge questions

THANKS!!!We'll go 8 septembr.