We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,075 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

Unfortunately a tube strike is planned for the above dates. It is likely to be extensive and go ahead thus having more impact than recent more limited action due to the nature of the grievance, but worth checking the news sites like the BBC's for updates nearer the time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25684670

And please keep your political views to yourself. This is intended for those planning trips to and around London so they can make alternative plans.

London
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

ncmc, yes, you can use your 7 day travel card on any transport in the zones covered by your card. And yes, a LOT of buses stop in and around Russell Square.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,461 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

A number of buses go through Russell Square on their way south. I would imagine some may be full during the rush as they will have picked up at Euston and/or Kings Cross - tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…

And yes, 1 7 day Travelcard gives you unlimited travel on all TFL buses, not just those in zone 1.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,211 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

>>ncmc, yes, you can use your 7 day travel card on any transport in the zones covered by your card. <<

Not quite. It is not valid on:

High Speed services between St. Pancras and Straford International.

Heathrow Express

Heathrow Connect between Hayes & Harlington and Heathrow.

London
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

:-) cheers Bungle.

Hope you got that ncmc? Don't plan any sightseeing trips from Russell Square to Heathrow etc on the day of the tube strike. ;-)

Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

Aside from the walking alternative which may turn out to be shorter than waiting in line for transport, does anyone recommend using Boris bikes to get around on those days? Have a couple of young guys who would love to get around that way but I have no experience - are the bikes easy to wrt pick-up/drop-off and the roads are "bike-friendly" (especially for first timers to the city who need to be somewhere on time)? Thanks everyone.

Edited: 11:51 pm, January 20, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
1 review
Save Reply
36. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

There are a couple of bus routes which terminate in Russell Square.

The no 7 goes past Tottenham Court Road, Oxford Street, Marble Arch, Paddington and then out to East Acton.

The no. 188 goes to Holborn, Aldwych, Waterloo, then out via Elephant & Castle and Bermondsey to Greenwich and North Greenwich. So you could use it to go to Greenwich for the day, or to somewhere like Hampton Court using the train from Waterloo Station.

As the buses terminate in Russell Square they won't be full of commuters from Euston or Kings Cross.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,461 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

Lauren,

Your question might get buried amongst those bus route ones so you would probably do better to start your own thread regarding the bikes. Memory tells me that they are not the most straight forward things to ride but I have no direct experience.

On the strike front, talks are to be held today but it doesn't look terribly promising - www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25807370

Dunfermline, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm bringing a group of Guides down for half-term. Arriving around 3pm on the 12th at Kings Cross. Heading to Hampstead & I think I'm good for a bus direct from the station. However, the following morning we have to be in Trafalgar Square for 11am for a bus collection. What are the chances? I also wanted to use group travel cards (not yet purchased) - can these be used on buses too?

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
39. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

This is going to suck for people heading to and from the o2 for Taylor Swift on the 4th and 11th.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,461 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

#40: what do you mean by bus collection? If you mean you need to meet a private coach then you should contact the operator and ask their advice regarding the best point to meet you. I am sure they will change the pick up.

Otherwise I would look at taking the bus. 268 to Swiss Cottage then 13 to Trafalgar Square. You won't be the only ones though.