We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I manage a day trip to Oxford in 6 hours?

Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Can I manage a day trip to Oxford in 6 hours?

I am traveling toLondon on business this month.

My agenda is pretty much set in stone, but I have a free afternoon on a Sunday.

Having attended Christ Church in a study abroad program in the early 90s, it would delight me to be able to go back and see it with a new perspective.

That said, how realistic would it be to manage this? My hotel is near the Tower of London, and I am free from 2 PM - 8 PM. Am I setting myself up for failure, or can I visit a piece of my past?

Several Google searches later, I am no closer to an answer ... Thanks in advance!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,388 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I manage a day trip to Oxford in 6 hours?

It should take you 90-120 minutes each way to reach Oxford by Underground and train from Tower Hill. So you decide if it is doable.

London
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I manage a day trip to Oxford in 6 hours?

The 2:42 p.m. train from London Paddington station arrives in Oxford at 3:54 p.m.

You can spend two hours in Oxford and then catch the 6:16 train which arrives back in London at 7:41.

However, if you are doing this in January, then it will be getting dark by the time that you arrive in Oxford. Do you have any flexibility in your schedule? Could you book into an Oxford hotel for the night and travel back to London the next morning?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I manage a day trip to Oxford in 6 hours?

Sunset times run from roughly 4pm to 5pm by the end of the month so your available daylight hours are very short.

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,878 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I manage a day trip to Oxford in 6 hours?

It probably depends what you want to do when you're there (and if it's open). Personally I'd say 2-3 hours there isn't worth it as doable isn't the same as enjoyable or worthwhile but only you can tell. Why do you have to be back for 8? Can this be changed?

London, United...
Level Contributor
462 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I manage a day trip to Oxford in 6 hours?

The major change simce you were there is that Christ Church is open to paying visitors only, via the gate on the meadow side, and on a sunday you will be too late. However! The cathedral website says that evensong is at 6.00' and you can attend that, access from St Aldates, have a look round the front quad and enjoy the choir, if they are back from Christmas holidays. You may be able to slip up the stairs to view the hall, but the porters are sharp.

You could spend the time from 4 to 6 walking round the High Street and Radcliffe Square, the buildings are floodlit and very beautiful even in the dark. And a drink at The Bear or Kings Arms which are exactly as they were 20 years ago. I assume evensong is a 45 min affair. You will be back at the Tower for 9.00 I would guess.

My advice is go for it only if the weather is good and you feel in the mood, because its going to be a rushed and potentially disappointing experience. You could do more with your time in London.

6. Re: Can I manage a day trip to Oxford in 6 hours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, January 03, 2014
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,106 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I manage a day trip to Oxford in 6 hours?

You could also try another, closer location....

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c174500/Londo…

Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I manage a day trip to Oxford in 6 hours?

Thanks so much for the great advice. I can probably get out of the Sunday evening commitment, but it will be impossible to arrive there any earlier. The idea for Sunday Evensong is fabulous! Here's hoping to good weather and a clear day ...

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I manage a day trip to Oxford in 6 hours?

Further to reply #5, if the OP is a member she ought to be able to gain admission whether or not Christ Church is open to the public for visiting. It ought to be sufficient to say, 'I am a member of The House', or, 'I was up in 199...' At my college visiting students, including JYAs, gained lifetime membership of the college, even though they did not matriculate as members of the university. Even if this is not the case at ChCh I should expect that a porter would want to be helpful to somebody who has a clear connection with the college.

Hilary Full Term begins on 19 January, so choral services should recommence from this date, if not earlier. The music list ought in due course to be published here: …ox.ac.uk/cathedral/…services-music-list. Note that a Sunday Evensong is often a slightly longer service with a sermon, so I would budget up to an hour. Even if you cannot get out of your evening engagement, do you think that you could push it back by an hour?

Even if you cannot make it to Evensong I am sure that you could still have a nice time having a look at Oxford and paying a visit to ChCh. Normally I would think that there would be no point in such a brief visit, but you clearly have a particular reason for wanting to make the journey, so I suggest you go for it.

Edited: 8:31 pm, January 02, 2014
Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I manage a day trip to Oxford in 6 hours?

Thank you so much! I kept my old student ID as a keepsake. I think I will bring it ...

This is very exciting. I hope I can make the visit. A stop at the Old Tom for a pint is a must. I don't think I could handle a Doner Kebab Truck at this point in my life. :)