We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ongoing trip report with 16 y/o daughter

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,763 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Ongoing trip report with 16 y/o daughter

I'm currently in London with my 16 y/o daughter (DD). I usually post an ongoing report with each day as a reply. I don't know how helpful this will be for first time visitors, as DD and I have both been to London multiple times and don't have plans to go back to many of the major attractions. The actual purpose of the trip was the theatre, specifically to see David Tennant in Richard II. DD is a major Dr Who fan, and he played the 10th Doctor (for those who aren't fans, although I am assured by DD that every single person in England watches the show - I suspect that may be a slight exaggeration). So we have something booked for almost every night, but almost nothing in particular planned for the days. Just as well, as there aren't so many daylight hours in London in Dec and Jan.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,763 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ongoing trip report with 16 y/o daughter

Day 1 - Fri 27 November

For a change, we didn't have any flight delays or problems. We flew United to Heathrow and paid for Economy Plus. It’s nice to have the extra legroom, but it was $114 extra per person per flight segment and I’m not 100% convinced it’s worth it. I only upgraded us on the Chicago to London and London to Chicago legs as we fly on a regional jet between home and Chicago and I can’t see any difference in the seats (plus it’s only about a 45 min flight). We both got some sleep on the plane, but not as much as we would have liked. DD had caught a cold about 1.5 weeks before the flight so was mostly better, but I only caught it about 5 days ahead of the trip, so I dosed myself up with decongestants and cough medicine in hopes of a less than horrendous flight. My ears didn't equalize the pressure as well as they normally would, but were not excruciatingly painful. It’s still hard to sleep in a plane seat when you’re coughing and congested.

We arrived at Heathrow a little early at about 1015. I’m always a little nervous about immigration as they often don’t seem to understand why anyone would visit London more than once. This time, they really didn't ask any questions though. Just confirmed we were there on holiday and our departure date as well as the fact that we were going back to the US. (Not sure why that matters as long as we leave the UK, but I never question immigration officers.) It took us about 45 min to get through immigration, pick up DD’s suitcase from baggage claim (I flew carry on only), pick up DD’s reserved 11-15 Oyster card, load some money on it, and get on the tube into town.

There was some issue with the Piccadilly line coming into town, and we had to get off our train at Acton Town and wait for the next, so it actually took us more like 1.5 hours to get to our hotel, which is near Russell Square station. We checked in, and our room was even ready so we settled in and rested for a few hours. We had afternoon tea scheduled for 4PM and also had train tickets to pick up, so we set out again around 3PM. We picked up our train tickets (purchased in advance) from St Pancras and took the tube to Knightsbridge for tea at the Capital Hotel.

Afternoon tea was very nice. This was the first time DD had been to afternoon tea, and she really liked it. She says it’s filling but not heavy. We hadn’t had lunch and didn’t have dinner, and that was without eating all of the food we were served. As usual, there was good conversation with fellow TALF members, some of whom I had met before and some of whom I hadn’t. It’s always interesting to put faces to names, although it does get confusing trying to remember real names when you’ve only known the TALF name. Anyway, it was nice to see leagle and Adamhornets again, and nice to meet Mez3000, hvg4, jdbri, Trillian, USBusinessTraveler, and naej. I think jdbri was correct on the afternoon tea thread in that it would have made more sense to just leave a couple of jugs of water on the table, but that is a minor concern (IMO). The food was good, and I didn’t feel they were rushing us out. Some of the places we looked into having tea have time slots so you have to leave after 90 min or something like that, but we were there until about 8PM. The after Christmas sales must be good in that area, as it was packed with shoppers when we left. Both DD and I were getting tired and we had an early start for the next day, so we just headed back to the hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Knightsbridge
Knightsbridge
226 Reviews
London, UK
The Capital Hotel
The Capital Hotel
822 Reviews
London, UK
Acton Town Hotel
Acton Town Hotel
196 Reviews
London, UK
London Underground
London Underground
29,440 Reviews
London, UK
Russell Square
Russell Square
489 Reviews
London, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ongoing trip report with 16 y/o daughter

Yay you've started! Glad DD's introduction to Afternoon Tea was such a nice experience, looking forward to the rest!

Mentioned in this post
Afternoon Tea
Afternoon Tea
3,093 Reviews
London, UK
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,950 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ongoing trip report with 16 y/o daughter

Pfft , who cares about first time visitors, the rest of us want to read this ;)

Looking forward to hearing how your trip to Cardiff was!

Mentioned in this post
Cardiff
Cardiff
South Wales, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ongoing trip report with 16 y/o daughter

I'm pleased DD enjoyed her introduction to afternoon tea. The spread was very good, the venue pleasing and everything had a quality feel without being pretentious. Ideal first time, really.

Level Contributor
3,096 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ongoing trip report with 16 y/o daughter

Great to read your first day. I think

You mean Dec 27th not Nov? My DD can not wait to hear about the Dr Who stuff. She became a Whoverine (not sure if I spelled that right) during our trip and now that is all the peep will talk about.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ongoing trip report with 16 y/o daughter

What a great start, it doesn't matter if it's a first time visitor or not I love reading trip reports and am looking forward to the next episode.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ongoing trip report with 16 y/o daughter

Chitownbigcityfan the term is Whovian :)

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ongoing trip report with 16 y/o daughter

Thank you for sharing your lovely first day, well packed already! - Ah, maybe next time an immigration officer wonders, you could quote London theatre for a reason to return all the time, I know we could, lol!

Hope you soon win the fight against your cold: I've experienced it's no fun during vacation time, to wake up early due to those annoying coughs...

Looking forward to your weekend stories!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,763 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ongoing trip report with 16 y/o daughter

Oops, yes. It's December. Blame it on fatigue. Or maybe I'm just going insane.

It was a great place for a 1st Afternoon Tea. She's actually talked about doing AT again on this trip, but I'm almost afraid to take her somewhere else.

Dr Who is coming up in Day 2, although I guess I'll have to be careful not to give too much information so as not to spoil it for others.

Mentioned in this post
Afternoon Tea
Afternoon Tea
3,093 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ongoing trip report with 16 y/o daughter

You like the Wallace Collection restaurant, I think? Afternoon tea there is £17.50 but you have to finish by 4.30pm (so they can close the gallery).

Mentioned in this post
Wallace Collection
Wallace Collection
5,793 Reviews
London, UK