We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London for 1st time.

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashik, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
London for 1st time.

Hi,

Request you to help me.

! ) How many days will be enough to see London city and its attractions., as this is my first trip ?

2) What is best mode to see London - car hire, bus, tube ?

3) If i want to see London and Paris in my one visit, will i need separate visa for both countries ? or is there anyother solution ? As i am Indian.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London for 1st time.

1) Atleast 5 days

2) Bus or tube. Never car hire

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,937 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London for 1st time.

It would really depend on what you wanted to see and do. But definitely bus and tube.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,206 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London for 1st time.

1. Almost an impossible question. Some people can say they've seen some highlights in a two day stay, others can spend a lifetime in London and unearth new jewels regularly. It also depends on whether you want to venture outside the city eg to Windsor or Cambridge, to an extent on the location of your hotel and definitely on your stamina. If you took no side trips and booked your days solid from breakfast to mid evening I reckon you could do some justice to the city in 4 or 5 full days, ignoring arrival and departure day. Put two or three more days into your itinerary if you do not want to be frenetic.

2. Definitely not by car. Using a travel pass you'll have full access to the underground and bus network. I suspect many first time travellers take the tube because the famously simple tube map makes travel planning easy. However if you can use the buses you'll get a great view of London as you go from attraction to attraction so get yourself a bus map from a tourist/travel centre.

3. Sorry. No idea.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London for 1st time.

The reply to Question 3 is yes. You will need a UK visa for the UK and a separate visa for France (called a Schengen visa). The latter in particular takes time to obtain - about 3 weeks minimum when I was last involved in obtaining one. The delay is to allow time for all the countries in the Schengen common travel area to be consulted. For background see …europa.eu/dgs/…

5. Re: London for 1st time.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:29 pm, December 25, 2013
6. Re: London for 1st time.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 27, 2014