We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to heathrow airport but staying in City london!

Oakland, California
1 post
Save Topic
Flying to heathrow airport but staying in City london!

Please help!!! I'm flying to Heathrow airport but staying in City london my first 3 days and after that Im have 3 days to travel around in central london. What my best option to get around? should I use the oyster card or travel card?

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to heathrow airport but staying in City london!

The tube will get you pretty much anywhere you need to go within the city. And the day you're traveling from LHR to your hotel, I would go with Oyster. You can buy a card and load it at the LHR Underground station.

Edited: 11:12 am, November 17, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,166 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to heathrow airport but staying in City london!

< staying in City london my first 3 days and after that Im have 3 days to travel around in central london >

Doesn't make much sense - are you staying in London for 3 days or 6 days? How many is "I"? What do you intend visiting? Have you read the "top questions about London"?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to heathrow airport but staying in City london!

Makes sense to me.

They are in The City presumably for work and then have another 3 days free to see the rest of London.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
22,631 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to heathrow airport but staying in City london!

The answer is probably 'seven day zones 1-2 travelcard loaded on to an Oyster card, with some pay-as-you-go credit added for the journey from Heathrow plus any other out-of-zone travel'.

Am I right?

Mentioned in this post
London Underground
London Underground
30,159 Reviews
London, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
Level Contributor
11,392 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying to heathrow airport but staying in City london!

Terminology.

London has six main airports, one if which is "London City", usually abbreviated to just 'City'.

The financial area around the Bank of England is "The City of London Corporation", usually abbreviated as 'the city', an area within London with certain administrative differences to the rest of London.

So be cautious about referring to 'City' in London as locals might not interpret your question in the way you anticipated.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London City Suites By Montcalm
London City Suites By...
406 Reviews
London, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,701 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying to heathrow airport but staying in City london!

With the minimal information gustavo has supplied, I'd say wirewiper is right so far.

The seven day Travelcard loaded on Oyster plus a bit of PAYG money will give unlimited transport use in zones 1 and 2 plus the option to travel outside the paid for zones whilst paying the Oyster excess fare.

In order to sort out how best to travel from Heathrow, please let us know the time of day and day of the week you'll arrive, your destination in the City (if you are goin to stay there) and if you'll move from the City to another area in London.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Emeryville...
Level Contributor
213 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying to heathrow airport but staying in City london!

Hi,

I am also trying to understand Oyster and Travel Card. I thought they were two separate options and two separate cards? However, when I read this: "The seven day Travelcard loaded on Oyster plus a bit of PAYG money will give unlimited transport use in zones 1 and 2 plus the option to travel outside the paid for zones whilst paying the Oyster excess fare." This means I can load an Oyster Card WITH a travel card? and how do you do the "pay as you go" - does that mean you add more $ to the card?

this will be my third trip to London and I am still confused by the Tube payment options. I need "Oyster card for Idiots" guide so I can get through my next trip this week. I will be there for seven days, staying mostly in Zone 1 +2, not sure if I will train or cab from Heathrow. How do I best pay for my week as I was planning to take the Tube more than walk (colder weather this trip).

thanks.

vast

Mentioned in this post
London Underground
London Underground
30,159 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying to heathrow airport but staying in City london!

vast, are you going to be on your own?

Oyster is a smart card, not a travel product. On an Oyster card you can load a 7 Day or longer Travelcard, Bus Pass and/or PAYG. You probably need a 7 Day zones 1 and 2 Travelcard and £10 PAYG for the airport journies. Oyster does all the calculations so you don't have to 'think' about it.

Mentioned in this post
London Underground
London Underground
30,159 Reviews
London, UK
The London Pass
The London Pass
460 Reviews
London, UK
Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
4,152 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying to heathrow airport but staying in City london!

Electronic travelcards can be "loaded" onto an oyster card, paper cards are obviously physical cards that can also be used for the 2 for1 offers (oyster cards cannot).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,701 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying to heathrow airport but staying in City london!

TfL sell all seven day and longer Travelcards loaded on Oyster as the default payment method. Oyster can also hold PAYG money for out of zone travel or use when the Travelcard expires.

When buying the Travelcard after arrival, say to the station agent 'would you please add £x of pre-pay as well, thanks' and you may use the card straight away to travel from Heathrow to central London. The system will read your start and end points and calculate the Oyster excess fare from, say, zone 6 to the boundary of zone 2 if you buy a zones 1 and 2 card.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK