We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice London walks - off the beaten path

Austin, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Nice London walks - off the beaten path

I'm curious about fascinating streets and neighborhoods to walk in London, places with especially interesting history and architecture but aren't the usual suspects where you find the major tourist and shopping attractions. Any suggestions out there? Thanks in advance!

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,703 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice London walks - off the beaten path

Walthamstow; the street market, the village and Lloyd Park including the a William Morris Gallery.

Take the Victoria Line right to the end.

London
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice London walks - off the beaten path

This book is fabulous:

http://tinyurl.com/pkdqjfe

bring it over with you and leave it in London when you go home.

And if you're interested in the history of Texas, then see if you can find this plaque, apparently it's quite difficult to find..

http://tinyurl.com/p28z2ol

But probably the best advice that we can give you is to go on any of the London Walks that is interesting to you. There are lots of them every day.

www.walks.com

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,756 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice London walks - off the beaten path

Brittraveller is half right

but, take the Chingford train from Liverpool Street and get off at St James Street or Wood Street. Much nicer to cross the marshes than see the inside of a tunnel

Edited: 3:58 pm, November 12, 2013
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice London walks - off the beaten path

In Islington there are many beautiful Georgian streets and squares. Especially worth a visit is the area behind the Angel Station (Duncan Terrace and streets nearby), then the streets off Upper Street and, towards Highbury, you have Canonbury Square. Near Canonbury Square is Compton Avenue, which despite is name is more of a lane, where you will find the Compton Arms where several literary types including George Orwell once hung out. While walking around the Georgian part of Islington you will see quite a few blue plaques saying who once lived in this or that house.

islington.gov.uk/islington/…default.aspx

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice London walks - off the beaten path

Agree with brittraveller. Plan you day for one on which the Vestry House Museum in Walthamstow village AND the William Morris Gallery are open. And if you still have any energy once you've done the street market, east to west, continue down Coppermill Lane to the River Lea and up into Springfield Park on the Middlesex side.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,485 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice London walks - off the beaten path

You could go to Highgate Village have a drink in the Flask pub and then walk on to Highgate Cemetary where Karl Marx is buried. I believe they have free guided tours of the cemetery.

Afterwards you could visit Kenwood House, Hampstead Heath and the Spaniards Inn.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,070 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice London walks - off the beaten path

I'm not sure when you're going, but I really enjoyed the garden walk from this website: www.london-footprints.co.uk . They have a ton of other walks, but I have only done the garden one. It took me two days.

Austin, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice London walks - off the beaten path

Thanks everyone, some great ideas for me to look into!

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice London walks - off the beaten path

If you can, get a hold of a book called Secret London by Andrew Duncan. Some lovely walks listed, to suit all tastes.

If you want something a bit different, check out Walking Haunted London by Richard Jones. A fair amount of imagination required, but all the walks take you to parts of London that you wouldn't normally see.

Monza, Italy
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice London walks - off the beaten path

Due to lack of time, in march I managed to do only the orange route of this map + Brompton Cemetery and liked the area (my hotel was in Earls Court) : walkengland.org.uk/uploads/…20court.pdf

Not touristy at all; you can have a llok around with Google Street View to see if this is what you're looking for.

Have a llok at the website given at post #7 by btgm, many nice and detailed walks; on my 'to do list' I've got the Notting Hill walk (long version) not on market day and hope to explore the Kensington area too.