We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grouping of Attractions.

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grouping of Attractions.

Hi, Can someone help me with my planning for my trip in London in May 2005. I need your help in grouping the attractions in terms of nearest locations together so that I can avoid long travelling in a day. I will be there for 5 days.

1) Tour of Highbury Stadium

2) London Eye & River Cruise

3) British Museum

4) Buckingham Palace

5) House of Parliament & Big Ben

6) St Paul Cathedral

7) Tower Bridge

8) Tower of London

9) Westminster Abbey

10) Saatchi Gallery

11) Harrods

12) Portobello Market

13) Jason's canal Trip Along Regent's Canal

14) Kensington Palace

15) Museum of London

16) Imperial War Museum

17) Chinatown

18) West End, Shopping

19) British Library

PLease highlight any places not worth going. Many thanks for all your kind help.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grouping of Attractions.

Just a suggestion for one day:

You could first visit Big Ben & Parliament, walk over the bridge, ride the Eye, go to the Saatchi next door, hop on the boat ride down to Tower of London and then walk over to Tower Bridge.

Another note:

If you take the canal trip, opt for Camden Market instead of Portobello, unless you have time to do both, of course.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grouping of Attractions.

In addition to OfftoLondon's reply, you could combine:

1. British Museum and British Library.

2. St. Paul's, Tower Bridge, and Tower of London

3. Chinatown (which is small) and west end shopping

I've never seen very many tourists at the British Library, which is too bad as the displays are fascinating. All types of manuscripts/books from all ages; original manuscripts handwritten by the author; music written by Handel; magnificent stamp collections; and the temporary exhibits are always worthwhile.

London, England
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grouping of Attractions.

The others suggestions are good.. In addition to those, you could do the Museum of London with St Paul's Cathedral. Buckingham Palace could be done with Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliament. Kensington Palace could be done with Portobello Market, and perhaps also with the Imperial War Museum and Harrods which could be done together. Some/most of these groupings I have suggested are not within walking distance of each other, however the journey's between them are short on the underground. Have a great trip!

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grouping of Attractions.

1 Highbury, British Library, Regent's Canal - all north London.

2 These all sort of flow southwards and you can divide them into two days. Start at: British Museum, Chinatown, West End. Bus from Oxford Circus to: Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey. Walk along river Thames to Waterloo Bridge to: Saatchi Gallery, London Eye. (Imperial War Museum is a bus ride south from the Waterloo Bridge). Or you can come from Oxford St to Trafalgar Square, and walk along The Mall to Buckingham Palace.

3 Harrods (Knightsbridge). Bus or walk through park to Kensington Palace. Bus or walk up to Notting Hill for Portobello Road (should be a Saturday if possible).

4 Museum of London, St Paul's, Tower of London/Tower Bridge (same place).

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grouping of Attractions.

The War Cabinet Rooms are in the Westminster/Big Ben/Parliament area, and right across the bridge (great views from the bridge) are The London Eye, Dali Museum, Saatchi, and Florence Nightingale Museum.

You didn't mention the War Cabinet Rooms but a visit there is really meaningful and brings a reality to WWII and Churchill and Britain's place in it.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grouping of Attractions.

We all are different and what interests us and does not, will vary from person to person. First I cannot see you visiting all these places over five days and doing them justice. If the history of England, it's monarchy, etc is near the top of your list, then Westminster Abbey, The Tower, and Windsor Castle (not mentioned) are must visits that can take up a good chunk of day seeing them right. I fall in to that category. I have visited the Abbey on each and every one of my trips to London and get more from it each time. Windsor, Hampton Court, The Tower, all are fascinating. Have only seen Buckingham and Kensington, as well as St. James from the outside. The museums are good and worth seeing. I plan on revisiting the Imperial War Museum next time, it's so full of great things it needs more time than we had our first trip. I personally could care less about Chinatown, Harrods, West End shopping, and Portobello Market. I suggest scaling down and seeing what interests you the most. You should also spend time walking through the parks and just hitting the streets. Very enjoyable.

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grouping of Attractions.

Arsenal - if you're talking about priorities, the fact that you've put a tour of Highbury first makes me wonder if subliminally you have already listed the attractions in your own order of preference?!

When you go to Highbury stadium, the main road (particularly the little cafe on the hill in a string of shops), back to Highbury & Islington tube is a great place to try a traditional fry-up.

Apex, NC
Level Contributor
297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grouping of Attractions.

Hi Arsenal. I agree with Pub7 and the sentiments of some others that it's impossible to see all (19) items in 5 days. I generally create a large list (as you have already done) and plot each into my GPS so I can see graphically what attraction are near each other. I then have to make the 'heartwrenching' decision of what to cut. For example, on one day I had originally planned to drive from London to visit co-workers in Hursley, then head on to New Forest, followed by Salisbury, then Stonehenge then Bath. After asking for advise on this site, and thinking about it, I cut the excursion down to a quick stop in Hursley to drop off gifts, a photo stop at Stonehenge, and then a casual day at Bath [and THAT's assuming I leave at 6:30 from London].

Colorado
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Grouping of Attractions.

If you are a high energy person, I believe that it is possible to accomplish your list with some efficient planning, not only by geographic area, but also by length of time you wish to spend at each location. We've done gonzo trips before, referring to them as our "Taste Of..." tours. If something really appeals to us, we put it on our list of sights to return to and spend more time on a future visit. Or, if something really sweeps us away while we're there, we may choose to simply reshuffle our plans or just drop something from the agenda.

Everything on your list has merit, although we found Portobello Market crowded and overpriced for actual buying. Imperial War Museum has the best, hands down, holocaust exhibit of the three we've seen (Caen War Museum, Holocause Museum, Washington, DC included). Sounds weird, but great gift shop as well.

Some suggestions: National Gallery (right there at Trafalgar Square, after all) is a personal favorite. If you feel the need for a breather and some space, you could take that river cruise down to Greenwich and enjoy the terrific Maritime Museum, the Greenwich Market and just enjoy the lovely, low key town. In the opposite direction is Hampton Court Palace, which we find ourselves drawn to nearly every time. Really great, historic and atmospheric place. Visiting HCP could really wreck your agenda, though - it's a full day deal.

Final suggestion: Google search the sites you're not familiar with to help determine your own interest level and solidify opening and closing times and dates. Then, pick up a London A-Z, where you will find all sites on the map pages, along with tube stops. You can then sort out for yourself location proximity and plan efficiently. You can also go online to the Transport London site to get an idea of journey times and method.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/