We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atm Fees

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Atm Fees

Is there a certain bank in London that has the lowest service fees for ATM use? I know my bank here in the US will charge me a fee and a fee will more than likely be charged by the bank which I'm withdrawing money from, but I want to try and keep that fee as small as possible. Any suggestions?

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atm Fees

Try this website- www.thisismoney.co.uk

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atm Fees

If you happen to have a Bank of America debit card, you will not be charged a fee if you use it in an ATM that belongs to Barclays in the United Kingdom. That's because BOA and Barclays belong to a Global ATM Alliance whose members have agreed not to charge each other's customers ATM fees.

In case you're going elsewhere in Europe on the same trip, BNP Paribas in France and Deutsche Bank in Germany, Poland, Spain and Italy belong to the same alliance.

If you don't have a BOA debit card, then try to calculate how much cash you'll need, and try to withdraw an amount that's as close to your needs as possible. An ATM fee is the same whether you withdraw 20 GBP or 200 GBP, so you obviously don't want to make numerous withdrawals of 20 GBP each.

Beyond a certain point, there's a limit to the extent to which you can finesse your calculation. ATM fees are part of the cost of travel (although I totally understand your desire not to waste money).

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,206 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atm Fees

Use a debit card rather than a credit card if you can. In some places I have come across people who have not been able to withdraw money at Barclays when using Mastercard and from Nat West when using Visa. Having said that, if you see a Barclays you won't be far from a Nat West, HSBC or Lloyds.

Also, use ATM's at banks and not in shops where you are likely to be charged for the privilege.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,690 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atm Fees

Hi, Can I ask this the other way around? We're off to San Francisco, and Hawaii - will I be able to use my Alliance & Leicester debit card in ATMs there? (Also have a Barclays, but not the main account so not so much money in there!) Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,391 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atm Fees

Gilliganuk - obviously you're a smarter investor, at the Allia....no, wait, sorry. (remember the old advertisements? do they still use that as a tag line?)

If your cash card has a logo for Cirrus or Plus on the back, you're good to go for North America. The one piece of advice I'd give is to avoid the 'white label' machines - ATMs with no obvious bank source, since they are privately owned and will charge whatever they like, as well as incur a fee from A+L. I think I've read about these machines in The Guardian; if so, then they'll be in the UK, and you'll likely know that they're not a good deal.