We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London itineary - what do you think??

spain
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
London itineary - what do you think??

Hello again,we have done a new itinerary:

September:

Tueday 5:Morning:arrive.Afternn:Walk Oxford Street zone (the hotel is there).

Wednesday 6: Tower of London, Tower bridge,Tate modern,Globe theatre and St Paul's Cathedral.

Thursday 7: Morning: Buckingham, James Palace and gardens,Cabinet war rooms and Westminster Cathedral. Afternoon: Hyde Park and Kensington Palace and gardens.

Friday 8: Cambridge or Oxford (really good??)

Saturday 9: Morning: Westminster abbey,parlament, big ben,St Margaret's church and Lambeth bridge. Afternoon: Harrod's

Sunday 10: Morning: National gallery,National Portrait gallery and StMartin in the fields. Afternoon: Trafalgar square and London eye.

Night: Tamsis cruiser.

Monday 11: Morning: Windsor. Afternoon: British museum and Natural history museum. Evening: Dennis Sever's house.

Tuesday 12: Morning: Walk around Oxford street and say byebye.

What do you think??Any ideas?? Any suggestions?? Thanks!!!

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London itineary - what do you think??

Again, there's little to see in the Oxford Street zone as you call it.

You could walk around Hyde Park or Green Park followed by a nice afternoon tea at Fortnums/Wolsely/Patisserie Valerie on Piccadilly.

Maybe try a guided London Walk in the evening.

Why go to Harrod's on a Saturday afternoon - it'll be crowded.

It's just a shop. If you must go to see the food hall, then go first thing in the morning on a weekday as they open. Hardly anyone there & you can actually see the tiles which is the only thing that's architecturally listed in the whole place.

Windsor in morning ? Only if you get there very early as places open. There's a lot there to explore. I reckonyou could just about do Windsor/British Museum or Natural History/Dennis Sever's house. It's a long day full of looking at things & quite a lot of travelling between sites. The BM & NHM are huuuuge - you could easily spend a day in each & go back for more.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London itineary - what do you think??

susarugi: Where on Oxford St. is your hotel located? If it's the west end, you can easily walk over to Hyde Park and further on into Kensington Gardens. If the hotel is near Regent St., there are lots more shops to explore and you can easily detour to the stores found on Carnaby St. and Bond St. Oxford St. is full of shops -- and during business hours -- packed full of people. Even I, who love to shop, retreat into Selfridges or a bookstore to take a break.

spain
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London itineary - what do you think??

Lee B. Our hotel is in Marble Arch and we like go shopping too.

Em Paar what can we explore in Windsor??Thanks!!!!

London
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London itineary - what do you think??

Hi Susarugi,

Just a couple of comments

Wednesday you may be pushing it if you want to visit all these attractions in a day. Tower of London would take up most of your morning (highly recommend the free Beefeater tour). The last admission to St. Paul's is 4pm so I'd drop either the Globe or Tate Modern. I'd also advise that you walk along the river from Tower Bridge to Tate Modern/Globe. This way you'll pass HMS Belfast, London Assembly Building, Southwark Catherdal, Borough Market and the Gloden Hinde. Also along the way are plenty of places to grab some lunch.

Monday - as advised Windsor is a bit out of the way so unless you get there very early you might struggle to get much else done. In the afternoon the 2 museums are a 20 min tube ride apart (40 mins if you add in the walk to and from the stations & any delays). An alternative to Windsor you could visit Hampton Court Palace.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London itineary - what do you think??

Tuesday: As Lee said, a walk in one of the Royal parks is much preferable than walking the hell that is Oxford St.

Weds: No way of fitting all of this in, unless you're ticking boxes off an itinerary and not actually spending time looking around. To do any of these sites properly, you'll need to drop 2 or 3 off the list.

Sun: You won't be able to get through both museums in the morning, nor will you want to - it's too exhausting. Do one, have lunch, walk around Trafalgar Square, and then do the other. There'll still be time for the London Eye.

Mon: Far too packed. Allow a day for Windsor. And seeing the British Museum & the Natural History Museum in the same afternoon isn't really doable. They're both huge, and are located across town from one another.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
618 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London itineary - what do you think??

You would definitely need the best part of a day for Windsor.

One thing to consider is that many museums and galleries have late nights. For example the Tate Modern is open until 10pm (last admission 9.45pm) on both Friday and Saturday nights. We've often visited museums and galleries on their later nights and found them a lot less crowded and more enjoyable.

spain
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London itineary - what do you think??

Thank you!!! I'm thinking perhaps is better dont go on friday to Cambridge or Oxford and visitlLondon attracions because I see we havent time for St Paul or Natural history museum. What do you think??

And What is Beefeter tour??

spain
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London itineary - what do you think??

And do you recommend me book the London Pass (without transport)?? I think yes.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London itineary - what do you think??

susa - I'd think it a shame to come to the UK and NOT see something other than London. Personally, I'd choose Cambridge over Oxford.

you could possibly fit Windsor in on Saturday (miss out Harrod's) or...keep Windsor for Monday and move one of the museums to Saturday afternoon (miss out Harrod's). Actually, isn't Harrods near the museums? Could pop in there on your way to the museums.

London
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London itineary - what do you think??

Beefeaters are the guards that look after the crown jewels. Through out the day they provide a number of guided tours that are free.