We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4th of July 1981

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
4th of July 1981

I'm remembering the 4th of July, 1981. It was during my first ever trip to England. My DH was in the Air Force at the time on a temporary duty to RAF Marham near King's Lynn. He and a B-52 crew from our base in Michigan were there representing the USAF SAC in an international bomb competition. The wives were not really invited, but 5 of us found babysitters, bought our passports and tickets, and met up with our hubbies who had arranged accommodation for us with several young RAF families. We were staying in their homes as honored guests, and they threw a picnic just for us on July 4th. They had even found fireworks somewhere and shot them off as we sat on the grass in the sunshine eating grilled hamburgers. What lovely people. Here we were on their turf, celebrating our country's independence from their country. And they were so gracious as to throw a party for us. It was a very fine day. Unfortunately I had a bad case of laryngitis and couldn't have a decent conversation with anyone. How frustrating that was! But there's no doubt that these generous folks influenced me greatly to return someday (without laryngitis) and become an honest-to-goodness, card-carrying anglophile. I didn't get my next chance to visit the U.K. until 1998, but since then I've made every effort to return again and again. So thank you to those lovely Brits I met back in 1981, wherever you are. The British tourism board owes you a lot.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 4th of July 1981

brit_travel_fan, maybe our paths will cross then. Let's hope so anyway. Only 9 months to go!

A S
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
654 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: 4th of July 1981

Thanks everyone for your Independence Day goodwill :) I am so grateful to be an American and appreciative of the freedoms we have.

NYC
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: 4th of July 1981

WDix, thanks for sharing that wonderful memory. Had to wipe the eyes a bit while reading.

Kencar - is a John Collins any relation to a Tom Collins?

My tenative plans are for Mid May next year too ... we'll see what happens - but I've been getting really strong urges to book already ... and I do really have to wait until after the first of the new year.

And thanks to all for the wonderful wishes for our 4th.

Ta. MMM!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 4th of July 1981

When we arrived in Montgomery, Wales, on July 4, 1998, it felt like the small-town 4th of July we have enjoyed for so many years in Mill City, Oregon. While it had nothing to do with our national holiday, it had the same feel. The kids were enjoying the face painting and the inflated bouncy castle, we had our first-ever pork bap, and the whole square was full of tables with folks in jumpers and coats tapping their toes to the Dixieland jazz band. We were amused by the whole scene. It was one of the coldest 4ths of July I've ever experienced.

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
229 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: 4th of July 1981

Thanks for sharing the great story, Mum. Too bad I was too young to enjoy it with you. Instead I was refusing to eat my pancakes because Grandmom (whistlingdixie the eldest) cut them wrong. And being afraid of the fireworks. They took us to a display but I made them go sit in the car because I thought the sparks would fly down on me.

Hey, there's one for the memory book for whistlingdixie the eldest's 90th birthday.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: 4th of July 1981

There you go, jr. Good idea.

Britfan, while you were being cold on the 4th of July in Wales, we were being just as cold on the 4th of July in upper Michigan. We had to wear our summer parkas to watch the fireworks. These were only slightly less padded than our winter parkas. LOL

I do remember that the weather at Marham RAF on July 4th, 1981 was picture perfect. We couldn't have asked for a nicer picnic day. And there were NO BUGS!!!! Maybe that's when I fell in love with England.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: 4th of July 1981

Whistlingdixie, you're right about the bugs. Maybe it's because there are so many birds? My husband and I have both remarked on how bug-free the countryside is. (knock wood. . .!)

My cold Welsh 4th of July was in the middle of the day. My gosh, what a surprise. And it wasn't on the coast, no wind.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: 4th of July 1981

When jr. and I went to Conwy it was a bank holiday in May. It's on the coast and there were lots of folks sitting by the water taking in the very weak sunshine, eating ice cream cones. They were wearing shorts and t-shirts while we were wearing long heavy trenchcoats, gloves, scarves, and hats. I'm sure we were a pretty strange looking sight, but dang! it was COLD!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: 4th of July 1981

Dixie: Those must have been the same people I saw years ago in Adare, Ireland on a wet, cold day in May -- they were eating ice cream cones, too.

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
229 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: 4th of July 1981

I've noticed that about the Brits - when they are on holiday, they are on holiday, darn it, and they are going to wear shorts and eat ice cream even if it's 50 degrees out!