We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Edinburgh

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
London to Edinburgh

Does anyone know the cheapest and fastest way to get to Edinburgh from London leaving Sept 26th 2006? I thought I found a cheap airfare but have since lost the website.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,678 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Edinburgh

Easyjet have flights from Gatwick, Stansted and Luton from £15.99 plus tax. Gatwick is probably the easiest airport of the three to get to from central London. Flight time is 75-90 minutes. www.easyjet.com

If you would rather fly from Heathrow then BMI have some amazing fares starting at just £2 plus taxes. There are a lot of restrictions but it's worth looking. www.flybmi.com

With regard to the train, I had a look at www.trainline.co and it seems that the cheap fares have either gone or have not yet gone on sale.

North East Scotland
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Edinburgh

BMI do cheap flights, although they do add a lot of taxes on top of the original fare. It's possible to get a return for £55 from London Heathrow to Edinburgh if you book early enough as long as you realise the flights are non refundable/transferable.

Meaford, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Edinburgh

http://www.gner.co.uk/GNER

Cheap tickets will become available in the next few days. At the moment tickets only up to September 22 are available. Check this web site constantly over the next few days. Might even be lucky and be able to purchase a ticket for as litle as 12 GPB, city centre to city centre.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,779 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Edinburgh

Cheap /and/ fast probably means the train, if you are travelling from central London, as getting out to an airport will add time and cost money.

You will have to wait a while until train reservations (and pricing) are opened for 26 Sept.

www.megabus.com/uk/ is currently showing a price of £3 for day journey or £10 for overnight journey, for 3rd Sept. Not fast, however - a 9 or 10 hour journey.

Scotland (Perth)
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Edinburgh

Just booked two return flight Edin to Stansted £91 all in with easyjet about 70min flight, have watched GNER for trains you will get £22 each way single fares but its a 6Hr+ trip!

St. Louis
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Edinburgh

I can't tell you how grateful I am to have found this website everyone takes the fear out of travel. You guys are great!

North East Scotland
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Edinburgh

I think the method you choose really depends on whether you simply want the fastest method of transport or you want to take in the scenery too. I have travelled from the North East down to London by plane, train and bus and they all have their merits.

The Megabus is a great cheap way to travel but it is a long journey and will leave you very tired not to mention numb from sitting down so long. You do however get a great view for your journey and end up right in the heart of Edinburgh, and from there it's easy to get where you need to go.

The train is faster and you can get up and walk around more easily. You'll get the chance to see some amazing scenery and this will also take you into Edinburgh and if you get an advance fare will work out quite cheap.

Plane is by far the quickest but don't forget to add time to the journey for check in and getting to and from the airport as Edinburgh airport is a way out of town. You can get some great deals, as already mentioned, but there may be an additional charge if you have a lot of luggage.

Meaford, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Edinburgh

Fares are now posted for train tickets for September 26. Starting at 12.50 GBP but selling out quickly.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Edinburgh

I am going to try to get them today thank you!

10. Re: London to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 13, 2009