We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled transport-Heathrow to Stratford London Premier Inn

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Disabled transport-Heathrow to Stratford London Premier Inn

Hello,

My elderly Mum and I are arriving in London on Thursday morning and I was hoping for some advice on the best way to travel to Stratford. My Mum has some mobility issues and wouldn't cope with the Tube. Is there a bus that goes to Westfield? I was even thinking of a town car but have no idea where to begin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,234 reviews
from $140.15*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,957 reviews
from $144.27*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
515 reviews
from $97.56*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
814 reviews
from $97.56*
Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,713 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disabled transport-Heathrow to Stratford London Premier Inn

If you're mum is able to use tube or train then your only option is a car service. There are no direct buses that run from central london to stratford westfield (there's 2 westfields round london fyi).

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,480 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disabled transport-Heathrow to Stratford London Premier Inn

The tube journey is all disabled-friendly once on the PIccadilly Line. Cross-platform at Barons Court onto the District Line. Cross platform at Mile End onto the Central Line. Stratford station is DDA compliant with lifts etc.

Bus would be very complex and time consuming

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disabled transport-Heathrow to Stratford London Premier Inn

car service -there are many -I use www.simplyairports.co.uk

you can easily use their web page to get a quote

a black London taxi from the airport will cost double !

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,280 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disabled transport-Heathrow to Stratford London Premier Inn

What nobody has explicitly explained is that Heathrow is at the far Western edge of London and Stratford is quite far East. So you either have to go all the way though the conurbation by public transport or car, or circle it by car. It's quite a long way though a very dense area. Could easily take 1 1/2 hours or even 2 by car, depending on traffic, etc.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,844 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Disabled transport-Heathrow to Stratford London Premier Inn

Even if you had to eat the cost of the PI I would recommend you find somewhere nearer to central London otherwise your mother is going to hate you by the end of the holiday

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,909 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disabled transport-Heathrow to Stratford London Premier Inn

The PI at Stratford is not exceptionally handy to the Underground / DLR / Overground / National Rail station, and is a fair hike from the bus station too. It's much nearer Stratford International DLR station, which you *could* reach step free from Heathrow.

However, that would entail changing from the Piccadilly line to the Jubilee line at Green Park (escalators up then another down) and another change at Canning Town (either by lift or escalator) to a DLR train to Stratford International. The walk from that station to the PI takes three or four minutes.

You could avoid the long schlep by spending a bit more money. Take the Piccadilly line to King's Cross. Alight for the step free walk to St Pancras station and board a High Speed train to Stratford Interntional. Travelcards and PAYG on Oyster are not valid for use on High Speed trains, but travel time is just six minutes, considerably faster than any other mode of transport for that part of the journey.

Single fare on the HS train is £5.70, with frequent services. There are lifts or escalators from the concourse to the platforms at St Pancras domestic; Stratford International is step free as well.

If you decide to take the Underground to Stratford, you'll need to walk through Westfield to the PI. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/stra…

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Disabled transport-Heathrow to Stratford London Premier Inn

Thank you to everyone for your replies, I really appreciate it.

I've done a bit of investigating and it seems as though a National Express Bus goes from Heathrow to Stratford London, although there might be a bit of a walk once we get there. Has anyone had any experience with these buses? If its all a bit too much I may just go fo the hire car, after all it is a holiday! :)

Thanks again

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disabled transport-Heathrow to Stratford London Premier Inn

I don't know of a National Express bus from Heathrow to Stratford, East London. There is a National Express bus from Stansted Airport to Stratford, and there may be one from Heathrow to Stratford-upon-Avon. Please double check about that to make sure you don't book tickets to or from the wrong place.

Edited: 8:43 pm, September 17, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Disabled transport-Heathrow to Stratford London Premier Inn

I decided on the car service from Simply Airports - more expensive, but worth not having to worry.

Thanks for all your help :)

10. Re: Disabled transport-Heathrow to Stratford London Premier Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 19, 2014