We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

I saw a plane,very low, banking down towards the river, presumably going for a landing at LCY or otherwise perhaps being used for a photo shoot . It looked WWII vintage, had an unusual double horizontal tail plane. Does anyone know what it might have been?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
18,962 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

Sorry Joe, I won't do it again!

UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

No it was a great sight,please do, I was too entranced to take a picture.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
30,949 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

How many engines?

In the mean time - click on images

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=twin+tail+ww2+aircraft&oq=twin+tail

London & Paris
Level Contributor
2,837 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

"had an unusual double horizontal tail plane."

Do you mean it had two horizontal tailpanes in the same way that a biplane has two wings? I can't think of any plane like that. Or did you mean it had two vertical tail fins, one at each end of the horizontal tailplane?

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
23,122 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

Just practicing for Dublin on Sunday.

www.visitdublin.com/event/flightfest

UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

It had a single vertical tail fin, in the centre of which were two horizontal small fin, in effect a mini biplane effect tail.

Hard to describe, never seen that before, and I'm doubting my own sight now

It was a twin engine plane perhaps similar in size to a c45 and roughly same vintage,

Kent
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

You did see it Joe. That plane flew very low over our house on Sunday and we have been struggling to find out what it was since then so if anyone know please put us out of our misery. We have tried online searches with not result.

We are used to seeing all kind of aircraft fliying quite low as we live fairly close to Lashenden the small airfield near Headcorn that has many small aircraft, parachuting and sometimes WW2 planes.

Edited: 2:44 am, September 11, 2013
UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

So I wasn't imagining the "double tailplane" then ? If you've got the time how about going over and asking (if you think it came from there)

Just to add to the story, I first saw this plane fairly low but not out of the ordinary, with a helicopter a little way behind it and i wondered if it was being filmed (as it was an unusual old plane) or if that was a coincidence, and then a couple minutes later it came back really low but on its own which was when I got a good look at it. The double pass over central London now makes me think it was for a special occasion, perhaps a film or similar.

Right, I'm off now to the same part of London again so maybe I'll see it again, if so will get the camera phone out this time !

Kent
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

I think I'll get the SOL onto it. He is very keen on planes and anything military. I thought it had a WW2 sort of bomber look about it but smaller, certainly heavier than a fighter. Can't find anything British, German, French or US on line.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

Did it look anything like the Rutland Reindeer in "No Highway in the Sky"? Just trying to visualise the double tailplane!

airminded.org/2011/…

Can't think what it could be, but you have me intrigued!