We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boarding the bus in London....

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Boarding the bus in London....

Another probably daft question.

Myself and my partner and son will be using the buses in London when we visit.

I have Oystercard

My partner is disabled and has a bus pass

My son will have travel cards .

Do you touch in and out with the Oyster like on the tube?

Does my partner just show her card to the driver?

Does my son put his card through a machine?

Do we have to tell the driver where we want to get off?

Have not used buses for ages so apologies for the dumb questions!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,140 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boarding the bus in London....

Not daft questions at all.

There is no need to touch out, buses are touch in only. If your partner has a Freedom Pass (or permutation thereof) then it is a matter of showing it to the driver. If your son will have a paper ticket, he too needs to show it when boarding.

http://oystercard.webege.com/bus1.jpg and …dooyoo.co.uk/GB_EN/orig/0/5/8/0/3/580320.jpg You'll see one of these when you board. If you're quick, you'll be able to note the PAYG balance at the small green screen when you touch in; it also shows Travelcard zones for those who hold season tickets on Oyster.

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/London… On the right, just above the tipup seat, you'll see a panel. That panel shows the bus number and destination and the next stop; these are both announced as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTGE4v7WFDA

londoncalling.co/images/bus_countdown.jpg Countdown boards are being put in place at many central London bus stops. Most of the time they're accurate, but there have been times when the bus I've been waiting for shows as three or four minutes away, then 45 seconds later it pulls in at the stop. City centre boards will show up to 10 buses on a rolling set of screens.

Your Oyster, Travelcard and pass may be used on the Routemasters, which run from about 0900 - 1800 on the 15 from Trafalgar Square to the Tower and the 9 from Trafalgar Squae to Kensington. Those Routemasters have conductors on board. The new model Routemasters have conductors on board from time to time as well.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boarding the bus in London....

Thanks,seems quite simple,and pictures too,thanks for your time posting all that up !!

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boarding the bus in London....

Your partner's bus pass is valid on London buses at any time if it is an English National Concessionary Travel pass with the rose symbol. Show it to the driver.

If your son's Travelcard is loaded on to an Oyster card, then touch in on entry, otherwise show it to the driver.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boarding the bus in London....

Traveller Plus - Thanks! - heading for UK & London next week - what a great post and helpful info...

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boarding the bus in London....

No need to look for countdown boards, if there isn't one or you are still in your hotel, you can access on a smartphone

m.countdown.tfl.gov.uk

and enter the 5-digit number on the red and grey plate on the bus stop flag

This is free and surprisingly accurate

6. Re: Boarding the bus in London....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:38 am, September 03, 2014