We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport transfers: Gatwick/City and Heathrow/City

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
airport transfers: Gatwick/City and Heathrow/City

Thanks to British Air, our trip from Washington, DC to Amsterdam is being enlivened by transfers between Gatwick and City and Heathrow and City. From what I have read, public transportation does not seem like a good option. My questions are: which is better in terms of reliability, time and price, a car service or a taxi? Any recommendations for a particular company? Thanks.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,434 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airport transfers: Gatwick/City and Heathrow/City

It's British Airways by the way.

Do you mean that you are transferring to London City Airport from/to Heathrow and Gatwick airports?

At what time and day are you travelling? And how long between flights please? Public transport is not out of the question - depending on you answer to the questions.

London
Level Contributor
12,005 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airport transfers: Gatwick/City and Heathrow/City

Public transport is an entirely valid option - so long as you are not overloaded with luggage. The recomended routes may depend on day of week / time of day, so we'd need details from you before giving further advice.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airport transfers: Gatwick/City and Heathrow/City

Thanks for offering to help. I was a little hazy on arrangements but here they are:

we arrive from U.S. to Heathrow at 10:35 a.m., Monday, October 13. Our flight to Amsterdam leaves City Airport at 3:35 p.m.

We return to Gatwick on Monday, October 20th at 10:25 a.m. from Amsterdam. Our flight to U.S. is from Heathrow at 2:30 p.m.

Unduly burdened with luggage? I don't think so -- perhaps one checked bag between us and a small carryon each.

thanks again for help.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,841 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airport transfers: Gatwick/City and Heathrow/City

I would get the Piccadilly line to Green Park, changing to the Jubilee line* to Canning Town, for the DLR for City Airport (reversing for the journey back). Should take approx an hour and a quarter to an hour and a half. You also need around an hour for Immigration so should make it. As it's on one ticket you should be put on a laler available flight to AMS anyway. On your return the same should apply but will depend on availability of a long haul flight.

* by taking the escalator to the ticket hall then without going through barriers, taking the escalator marked Jubilee line back down.

I would also enquire whether I could switch to a flights connecting through LHR though:)

Edited: 12:03 pm, August 29, 2013
London
Level Contributor
12,005 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airport transfers: Gatwick/City and Heathrow/City

The route suggested by parkandwalk works fine - but obviously you can't use the reverse directions for your home trip as that routes through Gatwick.

You've got plenty of time of the outward itinerary, not too much to worry about there. The ticket you buy at the tube station at Heathrow is valid all the way to London City. The DLR station there is directly at the airport terminal - it couldn't be easier.

I'd be less comfortable with your return itinerary. Although the time meets the "minimum connecting" guidelines, these guidelines seem to have been made up by people who have no idea how busy Heathrow and Gatwick can be - or how nightmareish the traffic can be on the M25 (motorway connection between the airports). A slight delay on your inbound to Gatwick - or a traffic shunt on the motorway - could cause you to miss the second flight. There are direct coaches by National Express between LGW and LHR - though you may want to consider a pre booked car service to reduce the stress levels.

I'd try and get the flights changed to route through LHR - especially the return.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,841 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: airport transfers: Gatwick/City and Heathrow/City

Oops yes, missed Gatwick. I'd definitely prebook a car service - the margin is much tighter for that trip but as before I would try and get the airport changed first - and it may not work out that much more expensive by the time you factor in the cost of a cab.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airport transfers: Gatwick/City and Heathrow/City

Thanks to British Air, our trip from Washington, DC to Amsterdam is being enlivened by transfers between Gatwick and City and Heathrow and City.

==========

Surely thats entirely your choice, as you can fly to and from both Washington and Amsterdam via Heathrow ?

London
Level Contributor
12,005 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: airport transfers: Gatwick/City and Heathrow/City

Joe - to be fair to the Op, the way the BA booking interface works, it actively suggests these cross airport itineraries. Those not familiar with the geography of London and its multiple airports can easily be caught by that. I find it interesting that the American Express booking web interface doesn't offer these connections -looks like the folks at Amex have put some thought into it!

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,050 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: airport transfers: Gatwick/City and Heathrow/City

It does seem odd that British Airways' booking systems will offer these itineraries, apparently without flagging up that a change of Airports in London is required.

London
Level Contributor
12,005 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: airport transfers: Gatwick/City and Heathrow/City

The change of airports is flagged in the BA booking engine - but only at the very end of the booking process - and the significance of the airport change may not be obvious to those unfamiliar with London.