We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car parking

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
860 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
Car parking

Hi there,

After being in London by Plane with friends, I've decided to come back with my girlfriend.

But this time, we gonna get there by car/ferryboat, just to do something different than usual.

But i've one question.. is it possible to park the car not far from Shadwell DLR station? Google street view seems to show some public parking, but are they available for non residents? and if yes, how much should I expect to pay? Is weekend free parking ?

I'll park from friday around 3pm to saturday around 2pm.

thanks in advance for your advises

Edited: 6:53 pm, August 17, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,917 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car parking

There isn't a great deal of parking near Shadwell station for non residents. Depending on your destination in the area - which is where, specifically? - you might want to consider the Minories car park, just behind Tower Gateway station. It's outside the congestion charging zone, but watch the signs carefully as it's on the border of the zone.

Have a look at Tobacco Dock car park in Wapping Lane as well, on the other side of The Highway (walk down Dellow Street from the station and you'll find a traffic signal to cross The Highway), but nearer Shadwell station than the Minories (which is a 10 - 15 minute walk along Cable Street from the station).

Edited: 8:01 pm, August 17, 2013
London
Level Contributor
9,561 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car parking

London is divided into CPZs (controlled parking zones). If you look at the parking map on this link, you can determine what the parking rules are for whichever part of Shadwell you'll be in.

towerhamlets.gov.uk/lgsl/451-500/473_control…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car parking

Cable Street is definitely free on Sundays. Not sure about Saturdays though.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
860 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car parking

I was looking on the parking map.

If I understand well, almost all of the district is parking bay for residentials only?

In Paris, residentials have discounts, but visitors also can park the car, with higher prices. It is absolutely not the same in London?

Thanks, sorry, it's quite hard to understand for me, and I dont want to arrive with the car and not be able to park!

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
860 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car parking

"Bays

When the controlled parking zone hours do not apply, you can park your vehicle in any bay, except the car club bays, disabled bays and doctor bays"

Means evening and sunday, I can park in any residential bay, right? But what about friday afternoon and saturday evening.

The issue is that: I can find another hotel with free parking for the same price as mine, but it is 10 DLR station away !!

Edited: 7:09 am, August 18, 2013
London
Level Contributor
9,561 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car parking

In London, if a parking bay is 'residents only' then you can't use it (during the operating hours) unless you have the appropriate parking permit. You won't be able to park in a residents bay around Shadwell on Friday.

The authorities in London are trying to discourage car use in central London, which is why parking can be hard to find.

London
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car parking

I know for a fact that Wapping has controlled parking Mon-Fri (5.30pm) only. Therefore, the only obstacle is finding somewhere from 3pm to 5.30pm on Friday. Wapping is a shortish walk to Shadwell.

Unofficially, for that amount of time, you could quite easily get away with parking at the St George's pool car park. Maybe you could go for a quick swim too, it's a great pool!

Edited: 4:40 am, August 19, 2013
Gurugram (Gurgaon...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car parking

Minories car park, behind Tower Gateway station probably can solve your problem to an extent..

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
860 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car parking

Nice to know about the pool.... I'll probably do this just during the first 2 or 3 hours, then try to find something on the street.

I sent an e-mail to the hotel, to ask them more details abut parking in the area.

And I'll remeber Minories car park, seems to be a good place in case of mistake with pool car parking :-)

Thanks. I'll keep the post updated (but not yet, ferryboat is booked in october)

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car parking

the Barbican car park may assist you - £7 from 5pm on the Friday then £7.50 all day on Saturday. Nice and central and secure BUT you would have to pay the Congestion charge on the Friday, which is another £10.