We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day travel card from Heathrow

Calcutta, West...
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
7 day travel card from Heathrow

i have been going through most of the replies and it seems to me that a & Day Travel Card for Zones 1-6 needs to be loaded on a Oyster card. Can I get the same in advance at LHR? I will be reaching LHR on way to Edinburgh on 14.07.13. can i purchase a 7 day card valid from 18.07.13 on 14.07.13?

Do i need to submit a PP photograph.

I need to Travel To Windsor castle. The boundary of Zone 6 in the direction of SLOUGH is West Drayton. My wisdom tells me that as i have already paid in advance a flat amount for zones 1-6 the chargeable amount on my Oyster card should be from West Drayton to Windsor castle and back the same way. could anyone clarify.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,356 Reviews
from $131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,127 Reviews
from $139.80*
$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
512 Reviews
from $118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from $349.20*
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day travel card from Heathrow

A zones 1-6 travelcard can be loaded on Oyster, yes - but it doesn't have to be, there's also a paper version.

You can buy it on arrival at Heathrow, yes - no photo needed

The paper version cannot be bought at Heathrow - only at a National Rail station. It does require a photo

You cannot use Oyster to travel beyond West Drayton - it's not valid in Windsor. You will need to buy a separate ticket, either before you leave Paddington or by getting off at West Drayton and getting the next train after buying it there. If you are using PAYG Oyster the latter is the only possible method as you need to touch out

Edited: 4:28 am, July 20, 2013
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,210 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day travel card from Heathrow

First, do you really need a Zones 1-6 Travelcard for the time you will be in London? It may make a lot more sense to get a Z1-2 Travelcard and add cash credit for the journeys you will make outside the Zones for which the card is valid.

You can specify the day on which your Travelcard starts, and for a Travelcard on Oyster you don't need a photo.

Oyster Cards are not valid for the journey to Windsor, but you can ask for a (paper) ticket from the boundary of whatever Zone your Travelcard is valid for - e.g. boundary Zone 2 to Windsor. At Paddington you would touch in at the barriers as normal with your Oyster card.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day travel card from Heathrow

Did I miss something?

As I see it you posted this today but landed at Heathrow last Sunday and am back in London Thursday just gone?

Will you be able to go landside to get the ticket if you are flying onto Edinburgh? And how are you travelling back to London? Where are you staying in London and what plans to you have to be travelling in zone 6?

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Calcutta, West...
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 day travel card from Heathrow

sorry the month should be read as August. What is a PAYG oyster card. will my travel card be loaded on this PAYG oyster card or is it a separate card.

Calcutta, West...
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 day travel card from Heathrow

can i buy tickets ( west Drayton- windsor) at any tube station. is there any security deposit to be made.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 day travel card from Heathrow

Security deposit for what ?

Calcutta, West...
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 day travel card from Heathrow

somewhere it was written that when u buy a 7 day travel card it will be loaded on the oyster and a deposit of 5 pound needs to be made.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 day travel card from Heathrow

A PAYG Oyster card is loaded with money that is then used to pay for tickets on a journey by journey basis

Your travel card can be loaded on to the same Oyster - in this case no cash would be deducted for journeys that are covered by the travelcard

You cannot buy tickets from West Drayton to Windsor at a tube station. You can buy them at any staffed rail station. You don't pay a security deposit to buy train tickets

You do pay a £5 refundable deposit for an Oyster card

Edited: 6:39 am, July 21, 2013
Calcutta, West...
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 day travel card from Heathrow

so i can buy train tckts fro tarvelling from S tA -St B from any staffed rail st. and the same rule applies for travelling by tube.

So if i load my travel card over Oyster card and travel from Paddington to Windsor and come out after touching the card at Windsor st. only the diff of fares, from Drayton to Windso,r will be debited from my card balance.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 day travel card from Heathrow

NOOOO

You can't touch out at Windsor - it's outside the Oyster area and there is no Oyster reader there

You'll get a penalty fare if you try it

<<and the same rule applies for travelling by tube.>>

Not as far as I know