We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cosmos British Isles in Depth - Optional Tours

Pottsville...
Level Contributor
30 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Cosmos British Isles in Depth - Optional Tours

My partner and I are taking a 21-day Cosmos British Isles Tour this August. If anyone has taken this tour, we would so much appreciate hearing your advice on which Optional tours are worth taking and which are not. Any advice for this trip is welcome!

Thanks,

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,636 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cosmos British Isles in Depth - Optional Tours

To where are the optional tours? We can then advise you on the sights involved. A guide book, too, will help you to work out whether they are the sort of things that you both like.

Pottsville...
Level Contributor
30 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cosmos British Isles in Depth - Optional Tours

Optional s include Bunratty Medieval Banquet, Welsh, Irish, and Scottish evenings (dinner and show) , Loch Ness cruise and supper, Guiness Storehouse visit and supper all of which cost from 59 GBP.

Others include Royal Yacht Britannia & dinner, Jaunting car ride in Killarney, Plymouth Harbour cruise, Tramore Pub night and Llangollen Canal Barge ride in Wrexham.

Has anyone actually attended any of these excursions and if so how would you rate them. I haven't been able to get reviews from anywhere davidblades, but will keep looking.

Ohio
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cosmos British Isles in Depth - Optional Tours

I have traveled with Globus not Cosmos but as they are sister companys I imagine optionals are much the same. I have done several of these but over 2 different tours. I enjoyed them all but that does not mean you will. Some people thing they are too expensive but I enjoyed that fact that I did not have to organize or worry about getting to some of these locations on my own. I will say go for the pub nights as those are some of my favorites. It is not just a drink but entertainment also. I have donethe Bunratty night and it was much what you would expect.....food wine and singing. Loch Ness was fun and I enjoyed the boat cruise..however the movie before hand was boring at least to me!! The jauning car ride we loved...beautiful scenery and the guides were funny!! Look up each place on google and see if they look like something you want to do....if not then you will have some free time to do what you want. Have fun!!

Edited: 10:29 pm, July 08, 2013
Pottsville...
Level Contributor
30 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cosmos British Isles in Depth - Optional Tours

Thank you lizziebOhio your comments are much appreciated.

Point Lonsdale...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cosmos British Isles in Depth - Optional Tours

thank you also as we are doing his tour in september

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,093 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cosmos British Isles in Depth - Optional Tours

Jaunting cars are all well and good in fine weather, but not so good in the rain. It rains a lot in Ireland. I know some jaunting cars have rain covers now, but with the covers up you wouldn't get to see so much. I wouldn't think this is an experience you would need to book beforehand via Cosmos. There are jaunting cars waiting for customers in Killarney, it's easy enough to get a ride.

Pottsville...
Level Contributor
30 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cosmos British Isles in Depth - Optional Tours

Bunratty Castle was our favourite, followed by the Jack Meads Irish pub night. Only rain was Military Tatoo night, but didn't bother us as it was a fantastic night as well. Attended all but 2 optional tours and enjoyed them.

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cosmos British Isles in Depth - Optional Tours

To Chrissy 233 and smileforrose,

Was wondering about your tour to the British Isles in depth. It's still available for booking in mid Oct, a bit last minute I know. There seems to be quite a lot of optional tours, would like to know what was the average cost, was it worth it or which are the must do ones, and which didn't you take?

Overall how would you grade the tour?

Thank you, any info is much appreciated

Ottawa
Level Contributor
643 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cosmos British Isles in Depth - Optional Tours

scct Globus(and other companies) has a pamphlet that gives the hotels' list, day-to-day itinerary, the optional excursions, helpful hints... We did the tour 2 years ago in mid-September. There were 17 optional excursions for a total cost of 774.4 GBP(1.60 US$ = 1 GBP, or 1.183 euro for 1 GBP -- this is today's exchange rate and does not include any exchange fees, or commissions), for an average cost of 45.56 GBP. The costs varied from 7.50 GBP for a harbor cruise to 99 GBP for a shownight.

We did not do any optional excursions. Before we leave, on any tour, we check with Tripadvisor Forums, travel books, Google... What we would like to do, we do it on our own, and is we can't, we do something else.

Pottsville...
Level Contributor
30 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cosmos British Isles in Depth - Optional Tours

Scct : Cosmos British Isles in Depth was brilliant, optional excursions good except Jaunting Cars, and the Welsh night, but other people enjoyed it, We chose not to do the Plymouth Harbour excursion. I have a friend whose daughter is a travel agent and says Cosmos is the best for this particular tour. It is full on but you do see a lot. Hope this helps.