We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Heathrow

Minneapolis, MN
7 posts
Save Topic
Transportation from Heathrow

Hello!

I'm taking my parents to London next month and am wondering what the easiest and most economical way to get from Heathrow to our hotel near Paddington.

My dad has Parkinson's. He moves slowly, has a lot of tremors, is not as a strong as he once was, and his balance can be off. This will be his one and only trip and I want to make it as special as possible. That being said, is there a form of transportation that will comfortably get us to our hotel without breaking my bank? I would give him the world if I could, but unfortunately, I cannot.

Many, many thanks for your help!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,763 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Heathrow

Hi there. I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Have a look at www.tfl.gov.uk for useful transport links and journey planner.

From Heathrow you could get the Heathrow Express train that goes straight to Paddington in about 15 minutes. There are 4 trains an hour and the cost is 13GBP. You may be able to walk from there - I am not sure a taxi would be happy to take you a short distance altough by law they have to. Depends which hotel.

If you prefer you could hire a car and driver to take you door to door. The driver would meet you in The Arrivals Hall and help with luggage. As long as there isn't too much luggage, the charge should be no more than 50GBP. You can get a quote from Roy Nash at http://freespace.virgin.net/roy.n/index.html A taxi would be slightly more.

You are wonderful to do what you are doing and please let me know if I can help in any further way.

Adam C

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Heathrow

a private car may be best if there are a number of people, as well.

with ��25 round trip i love the h-row express so much....but in your situation it may be worth it to hire a driver.

Colorado
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Heathrow

I think you should treat yourselves to a shuttle and be picked up as you exit customs and dropped off at your hotel doorstep. Life's too short and if this is your dad's only trip to London you should do it right.

London, UK
Level Contributor
92 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Heathrow

i just looked up some taxi/ minicab websites and it seems that to paddington it would be about gbp45, only a bit extra then the heathrow express and it will be door to door.

Minneapolis, MN
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Heathrow

Thank you all! You have been very helpful. I will check out the links first and hold Heathrow Express as the last option.

I truly appreciate your time and effort. My parents are deeply touched and excited by my gift, but they are very nervous about the prospect of an international trip since they have never traveled abroad. If I can make this trip appear as seamless and relaxing as possible, they will become more confident and will really enjoy their experience. You have definitely helped to make it both seamless and relaxing - both for me and my parents. Thanks!!!

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
677 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Heathrow

London cabs have a very large passenger area and are wheelchair accessible if that is an issue. On a trip I took with a person with mobility probles Cabs were easy for him to get in and out of - cars, even big ones, were a hassle. There are so many cabc at Heathrow I think you could just go to the Taxi stand but they can be prebooked 44 870 0000123.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,364 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Heathrow

TracyColorado mentioned a shuttle, and a good one is www.hotelink.co.uk - the thing is, it's a bit pricey. They do arrange private car transer, though, and that might work better for you.

What a swell daughter you are!!!!!!!!!

Have a wonderful trip, and tell all about it whilst there and when you get back, please.