We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer Message For Poppa

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Beer Message For Poppa

Hi Poppa, I consider myself a beer lover of the highest order. I have not touched mass produced American garbage Bud, Miller etc. ) in years. Young's bitter is a real English ale served on cask. I do suggest a trip to the brewery. Even if you can't secure a tour, it's worth going due to their fantastic pub and visitor center. This is also the optimum pub to have a pint of Young's because it's straight from the source. Take the district line (wimbledon branch) to East Putney, turn right out of the station and keep walking. The brewery is on the left hand side of the street. Distance is about a half mile or so from the station. Young's bitter is my favorite English ale and is very drinkable at only 3.8 percent alcohol. Have fun, I'm jealous, and say hi to London for me!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer Message For Poppa

Another alternative to get there is the train from Waterloo to Wandsworth Town as this is nearer the brewery. Also opposite the train station is the Alma tavern (a Young's pub) which is inthe list of top pubs on www.fancyapint.com for January 2005.

Also, there are plenty of Youngs pubs in the area around the brewery.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer Message For Poppa

How will Young's pubs be identifiable from the street?

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer Message For Poppa

It will usually say on the pub sign. First of all its name i.e. Rose and Crown, Bricklayer's Arms, The Barleymow, and then a painting visually describing the name of the pub, and then the word Young's at the bottom. The word Youngs may also be written at some point alongside the pub, on its walls, and also imprinted on the windows. This applies to all breweries where it is a tied house, as in owned by the brewery. If it is a Free House then that sign will also be displayed. Not being tied to a brewery, it may offer a wider choice of beer, but that's not always the case.

The idea of pub signs was that many folk couldn't read in the old days so a visual image would help, nowadays a visual image of the pub name helps when basically you are too drunk to read!!

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,926 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer Message For Poppa

Pub, et al - thanks for the education on real ales. Not to rub it in, 2 days at work and then over the pond. Found another pub recommended near my hotel. The Archery...so I have a good choice, well in London with its multitude of pubs, no worries getting a drink. Thanks again. Poppa

london
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer Message For Poppa

Henneth,

I recognise those pubs! you have been drinking in my area!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beer Message For Poppa

Don't foget Sunday night is Pub Quiz night at the Archery, Poppa.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beer Message For Poppa

Anytime Poppa, you make sure you tip back a few fore me and let me know what beers you try. When your around Trafalgar Square and Whitehall, drop in at the Lord Moon Of The Mall. Good selection of cask ale, our favorite dinnertime pub as it has a large no -smoking area in the rear. I'm jealous!