We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation in London

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transportation in London

Hello all, I will be in London in early July, and i would like to find out about the transportation options. I will be arriving in Gatwick airport from Barcelona and i would like to find out the cheapest and best way to get into the city from Gatwick. Would the easybus option be good? From my understanding the bus will get me to Earls court, and as i am staying in the hyde park area, i would have to take the tube. However i am a little confused as to which ticket or fare to get for the tube. I will only be staying in London for about 5 days. Do i get the oyster card?

Thanks!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,594 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation in London

Hyde Park is a large park in central London - and one hotel in the "hyde park area" could be a number of miles from another in the "hyde park area". So where EXACTLY is it - street name preferably.

As for easyBus, it has a bad reputation especially when going to airports and most people coming from Gatwick would just take the train

As for "getting the oystercard", it depends on how many "I" is - for a 5 day stay a 7 day zone 1-2 Travelcard is normally recommended but whether it should be on an Oystercard (with additional cash to cover any out of zone 1-2 travel) or a paper Travelcard bought at a National Rail ticket office (which allows the use of the 2-4-1 offers) depends on how many "I" is

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation in London

Also where are you going after your 5 days in London, do you fly out from Gatwick or elsewhere?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation in London

Will be flying out of Gatwick as well. Would you guys recommend the train instead of the bus? How much would the train cost? What do you mean when you say that the bus has a bad reputation? I will just be travelling with one other friend.

Edited: 10:53 am, June 14, 2013
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,096 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation in London

Here's an earlier thread: tripadvisor.co.uk/…38831374

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation in London

Easybus is known for being quite unreliable; the train is a much better option. If you can tell us:

1. The date and time you are arriving/leaving; and

2. Where you are staying,

we can give you more detailed advice on which train to get and how much it will cost. Also bear in mind that the road journey from Gatwick is long and can be very slow - the train is quicker as well as more reliable.

If you take the train, your tickets to and from Gatwick Airport will cover you for the 2 for 1 entry offers on http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk so you could save quite a bit of money if you're intending to visit the attractions listed on that website.

Also assuming you decide to take the train, when you arrive in London you can buy Oyster cards and ask for 7 day travelcards for zones 1 and 2 loaded onto them. That will cover any travel on the Underground, buses, DLR, Overground and National Rail services within those two zones, which is where most of the tourist attractions are. If you intend to visit anything outside of zone 2, you can also add some 'pay as you go' credit onto the Oyster card to cover the additional cost of those journeys.

London
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation in London

In addition to the poor reputation of easybus (see the linked thread), the road journey from Gatwick to central London is desperately slow. A train is almost always a better option.

London has a huge transport network, and many ticketing options. That's why we're asking you for more info, so the advice can be tailored.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,046 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation in London

Here is some more info on the Travelcards, and how they can save you money...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c195600/Londo…

Tinton Falls, New...
Level Contributor
934 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation in London

The train from Gatwick was really good.

I would use the Oyster. Easy for underground and buses.

Have a great trip. London is fabulousssss.

Cheers! -------- Ken

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation in London

Thanks guys. Regarding my accommodation, i'm not too sure myself as I will be staying with a friend in London. I do know that the station to get off at when taking the tube would be Hyde Park Corner. If i take the train out of the airport in London, how much will it cost for a return to Gatwick? I will only be staying in London for 5 days, and visiting the main attractions, hence will the 7 day travel card be a more economical option as compared to the pay as i go option?

Thanks for the info about the 2 in 1 offers as well!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,046 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation in London

The seven day travel card will save you money as long as "you" is two people.

If you are visiting attractions on your own, you cannot take advantage of the 2-4-1 offers.