We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions: a meeting place at London Liverpool St. station

melbourne, australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions: a meeting place at London Liverpool St. station

Hi everyone,

I will be meeting my daughters at London Liverpool Street station after they get off the Stansted Express, so I was wondering what would be a good place to suggest we meet given none of us has ever been to the station before. Some where obvious and easy to see and find.

It will be a Friday morning so probably quite busy.

thanks

ps Loving old black and white British films involving tearful goodbyes or heartfelt reunions at steam filled station platforms I am looking forward to my own dramatic moment as I see my eldest daughter again after seven months.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from $125.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from $104.60*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from $148.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
627 reviews
from $100.30*
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions: a meeting place at London Liverpool St. station

A nice thing to do is to actually meet their train and look out for them as they come through the barriers on the platform; there is a train arrivals board at Liverpool Street which will indicate the arrival platform.

Then go off and sit down with a coffee or tea.

There are cafes and restaurants in nearby Spitalfields or the adjacent Andaz Hotel which is very pleasant inside.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions: a meeting place at London Liverpool St. station

'Loving old black and white British films involving tearful goodbyes or heartfelt reunions at steam filled station platforms I am looking forward to my own dramatic moment as I see my eldest daughter again after seven months.'

In that case it would have to be by the Kindertransport monument, right at the exit leading onto Liverpool Street. It doesn't get much more dramatic than that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindertransport

Edited: 6:54 pm, June 13, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions: a meeting place at London Liverpool St. station

The StanEX trains use platforms 5 and 6. There are seats on the concourse just across from the way out from the platforms, an AMT Coffee kiosk just next to the barriers. You could also agree to meet on the concourse near the StanEX ticket machines, also very near the barriers out from platforms 5 and 6.

The number 8 bus from near your flat will drop you in Bishopsgate, about 15 paces from the entrance to the station. If you use that entrance you may take the escalator down to the concourse or linger a while on the mezzanine and watch the masses below rush through the station.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions: a meeting place at London Liverpool St. station

I thought of the Kindertransport memorial, too. Be sure to check it out even if you don't use it as your meeting place.

melbourne, australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions: a meeting place at London Liverpool St. station

thanks everyone, and thanks to Wansteader for that suggestion, what a lovely, moving memorial.

Something to think about when I give my daughter the biggest hug in the world.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions: a meeting place at London Liverpool St. station

I have a question for TP.

If the Heathrow Express is the HEX, and the Gatwick Express is the GEX, how come the Stansted Express is the StanEX ?

:-)

Anyway, I'm off right now to Heathrow via the TEX (Taxi)

Edited: 2:32 am, June 14, 2013
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions: a meeting place at London Liverpool St. station

There are two Kindertransport memorials at Liverpool Street. The main one, with a representation of seeral children is at street level at the entrance on Lierpool Street, up the escallators opposite low platform numbers. At the concourse level there is also the satue of a sinle girl just beside the entrance to the ticket office. To avoid confusion, TPs meeting place suggestion is probably best/

8. Re: Suggestions: a meeting place at London Liverpool St. station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 16, 2014