We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are 'cooties'?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,887 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
What are 'cooties'?

Ok, so I know this isn't about London, but where else am I going to get so many Americans in one place?! I consider myself pretty fluent in 'Americanese' but 'cooties' just has me foxed, and it's driving me nuts, so please put me out of my misery. It seems to be a children's word (I can think of 'The Simpsons' where Lisa (or was it Bart?) holds hands with another child, and the rest of the kids point and laugh, "Lisa's got cooties!") Many many thanks for helping me out here.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: What are 'cooties'?

We used to make 'Cootie Catchers' when I was a kid.

girlpower.gov/girlarea/…cootiecatcher.htm

Illinois
Level Contributor
638 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: What are 'cooties'?

This is why I love this site and am quickly becoming addicted. Thanks for my smile of the day!!

Loveland, CO
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What are 'cooties'?

Love the cootie catcher! Great memories. As a child, my girlfriends and I spent countless hours on the playground predicting our love life with those little origami deals. The only "fortunes" we'd write on the inside were the names of cootie infested boys we'd end up marrying.

toronto,canada
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What are 'cooties'?

I didn't know about 'cootie catchers' - I love this website - I used to make these over 40 yrs ago and now I'll show my grandaughter this website! I can't wait to get to London in early June - AdamHornets your info is invaluable too!!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,887 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What are 'cooties'?

I'm dead chuffed at the response my little question has raised, thank you - but you shouldn't encourage me - I now spend most of my free time browsing these forums! So addictive. I'm sure there are jobs I should be doing - like feeding the children or something. (Ah heck; they can feed themselves, I'll just check this forum some more)

Thanks Terry G - I looked up that web-site; my children love making these, although we have a different name for it (but don't ask what; I can't remember, and my son can't remember!). I think my 7yr old will like this site, as she is very 'into' all matters scientific and medical.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What are 'cooties'?

Yeah, we used that word alot when I was a kid in Niagara Falls Ont, "last one to the fence has cooties" or if you sit next to a smelly girl you now have cooties, so you touch a buddy and tell him he now has cooties. pretty imature but we took it very seriously when we were kids!!LOL

Actually the last person to read my post not writing one themselves, now has cooties. Better pass them on.

Lemon