We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day trip from London: Bath/Cambridge/York/etc?

singapore
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
1 day trip from London: Bath/Cambridge/York/etc?

Hello all, I am visiting London for 4 days from 23/7 to 26/7. I intend to spend 3 days in London and 1 day a day trip outside of London. I am still working on my itinerary for the 3 days in London, but I would like to get some suggestion for the possible daytrip you guys would recommend? Currently, am choosing between Bath/Cambridge/York or do are there any other day trips places I should consider?

Thank you all!

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from $125.80*
Best Seller
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from $104.60*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from $148.40*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
627 reviews
from $100.30*
Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day trip from London: Bath/Cambridge/York/etc?

Hello! There are lots and lots of great day trips from London, but if you want to minimise travelling and maximise sightseeing, why not stick to one of the outer London destinations such as Greenwich, Hampton Court or Windsor?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day trip from London: Bath/Cambridge/York/etc?

York is too far for a day trip, many will recommend Bath but I would choose Cambridge, you can get a train there from either Kings Cross or Liverpool Street - the Liverpool Street train is quicker but I believe doesn't run as frequently, either way you would be in Cambridge within 2 hours.

There is so much to see and do in Cambridge, same for Bath I know, but as I said I lean towards Cambridge as a choice.

Also, why not take a trip to the sea, seeing as you will be here in July and hopefully the weather will be kind to you, a train from Fenchurch Street will take you to Leigh on sea or Southend on sea, go for Leigh if you want a genteel seaside town with real character or Southend if you want amusement arcades, funfairs, and trips down the famous mile long pier.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,297 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day trip from London: Bath/Cambridge/York/etc?

The Liverpool Street Cambridge train isn't quicker. If you catch the fast train from King's Cross it only take three quarters of an hour - it runs non-stop too. Quickest Liverpool Street train is an hour and ten minutes, and stops several times.

Edited: 4:10 pm, June 10, 2013
singapore
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day trip from London: Bath/Cambridge/York/etc?

Thank you Bungle and Monroe for your help! Monroe, would you recommend leigh on sea or Brighton as a beach destination? I understand that Brighton is a pebble beach.

singapore
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day trip from London: Bath/Cambridge/York/etc?

Thanks Sandy! I'll google it up and check out the other alternatives you suggested! <3

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day trip from London: Bath/Cambridge/York/etc?

Leigh-on-Sea is actually on a muddy river estuary. Nice fish and chips but not much else.

I'd stick with the 45 minute train journey to Cambridge and visit King's College, The Fitzwilliam Museum and take a look around Trinity and St John's and grab lunch at the Fort St George pub.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day trip from London: Bath/Cambridge/York/etc?

Brighton is lovely but it only takes about 45 mins to get to Leigh on sea from London, there are sandy beaches, not very big beaches and they can get crowded in the school hols but the whole place is a cut above nearby Southend on sea, there are the old cockle sheds, quaint old pubs with outdoor seating overlooking the sea, and one of the best fish and chip shops in the south serving freshly caught fish.

@Bungle, when I have travelled to Cambridge from Kings Cross I seem to only ever time it for the crawler train, I know there is an express but meant to stipulate that the train from Liverpool street is quicker than the crawler train from Kings Cross. Apologies old thing.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day trip from London: Bath/Cambridge/York/etc?

York is less than 2 hours from London, with the faster trains taking an hour and three quarters. This is only about 15 minutes longer than taking the train to Bath. We live near York and do it as a day trip all the while! Once you get to York you can be off the train and in the city centre within minutes. It's an absolutely beautiful city with so much to see and do, so please don't discount it as being 'too far' !!

Edited: 4:33 pm, June 10, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day trip from London: Bath/Cambridge/York/etc?

Take exception to the description of Leigh on sea as being on a muddy river estuary, I actually live near Leigh, as do many rather wealthy commuters who seem to think it is a pretty nice place to set up home.

And 'yes' it is the Thames estuary, but an estuary runs into the sea, and I can assure anyone that Leigh on sea is actually 'on the sea', indeed it was once a busy port with a history of smuggling.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 day trip from London: Bath/Cambridge/York/etc?

It's still a muddy river estuary. A hard up East End Londoner's choice of "seaside" in the 1950's although it's stretching the imagination a bit. It's nice, for the best part of an hour, but it's not got a lot going for it.