We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible transfer to Croyden. Opinions on this borough to...

Atlanta
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Possible transfer to Croyden. Opinions on this borough to...

We might have to choose between Croyden and Leicestershire(sp). Just wondering on opinions. We have three children, and I'm currently looking at the ASL-American School in London-- for them if we choose Croyden. I've not researched the latter city yet, just see that it is north of London--not even sure how far. Turning to TALFers for some input. Thinking of 3,000 a month for rental, job will be in Croyden or Leicestershire. Thanks for any input. KateATL

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Possible transfer to Croyden. Opinions on this borough to...

Be fair, she did say LeicesterSHIRE - could be anywhere. The bits round Northants borders and Rutland are lovely. And much nicer than Croydon........

My advice on this would be to base it on the schooling I think. You really do not want to be driving for any amount of miles through London traffic for a school run, it will soon pall. Doing it for a work commute is bad enough

Egham sounded like a reasonable compromise though; the M25 is OK when there aren't accidents, when there are you'll just have to be Zen about it.....

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,243 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Possible transfer to Croyden. Opinions on this borough to...

Kate, your question might translate in US terms into something like

'Should I live in Staten Island or in Baltimore?" It's a question which raises a thousand more questions.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,243 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Possible transfer to Croyden. Opinions on this borough to...

Kate, your question might translate in US terms into something like

'Should I live in Staten Island or in Baltimore?" It's a question which raises a thousand more questions.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Possible transfer to Croyden. Opinions on this borough to...

While it is easy to slate Croydon, it's a large borough in London terms and contains some extremely desirable residential areas. People tend to focus on what they see around the town centre of Croydon and the residential areas in the north part which is only a small part of a much larger borough (albeit with the same name).

Having said that, it doesn't cover an area as big as Leicestershire - which, like Croydon, contains a very wide mix of places.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Possible transfer to Croyden. Opinions on this borough to...

I think that when we go in July, we'll be leaning toward the job in Croydon, and taking the advice of the poster who suggested staying closer to London so transit to ASL and the workplace are more convenient. My kids are young so tranportation on their own is not even a consideration for us. I'll be taking them each day. At this point, ASL is most likely where they will attend unless we're shown other schools that appeal. This is all preliminary until we get there and my husband makes his decision after we see the reality of the situation. I thank you so much for all you input--it really does help immensely! KateATL

UK
Level Contributor
155 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Possible transfer to Croyden. Opinions on this borough to...

Croydon to St johns Wood every day is a real No No. You are looking at a couple of hours travel each way in my opinion.

Depends on the age of your children but it really would be worthwhile investigating if you can get your children into a decent school in Croydon.

Whitgift or Old Palace are both pretty nice and do well in the league tables. I am not sure of the fees but try Googling.

As others have said Croydon is just really a borough of South London , indistinguishable from Greater London apart from its mimi Manhattan Centre.

I do not wish to scare you but some parts of Croydon , particularly to the north and west are pretty rough and there has been been a big increase in drug related crimes including a number of murders. I used to live there in the early seventies but I would not want to live there now.I certainly would not wander the streets of West Croydon late at night.

Live South of Croydon if you do come. Top place to live is the Webb Estate in Purley to the south, you would be a neighbour of Francis Rossi of Status Quo amongst others, Selsdon , Sanderstead , Coulsdon , Shirley , Kenley and Caterham are all good areas within easy commuting distance.

If you must put your kids into the American School I suggest Battersea or Clapham Common area is your best bet for an easy trip south to Croydon and north to St Johns Wood.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,243 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Possible transfer to Croyden. Opinions on this borough to...

Lots of Americans send their children to the American/International School in Cobham, which would be more convenient for Croydon.

Here's the website, with maps

http://www.acs-england.co.uk/

Cobham is rather like an expensive American suburb.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,243 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Possible transfer to Croyden. Opinions on this borough to...

PS I agree it would be impossible to travel from Croydon to St John's Wood every day. And when your children are at school you don't just go there once, it's there and back in the morning, there and back in the afternoon, plus sometimes in the evening as well. This really is not an option.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Possible transfer to Croyden. Opinions on this borough to...

Cobham is very nice.

Good base & the commute for the working adult would not be so bad.

20. Re: Possible transfer to Croyden. Opinions on this borough to...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, August 12, 2009