We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection between London City Airport and Heathrow

Connecticut
3 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
Connection between London City Airport and Heathrow

I booked a flight with British Airways from US to Zurich. The return flight has us landing in London City airport, however, my connection back to the US leaves from Heathrow. British Airways indicates there is a shuttle between London City and Heathrow, but cannot tell me how to find it. I checked National Express and there is no scheduled service. Can anyone confirm there is a shuttle and how I can locate it in the London City Airport?

I never would have guessed that an online booking would promote a connection where the gates are 26 miles apart. I found out while I was arranging gate to gate mobility services for my travel companion. If there is no shuttle, would much appreciate guidance on reliable cab service between the airports. As much as I love public transportation, there is a limit to what my travel companion can handle.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
72 reviews
90 helpful votes
1. Re: Connection between London City Airport and Heathrow

Also interested in any response to this question.. We're in a similar position.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
35,400 posts
7 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Connection between London City Airport and Heathrow

I've never heard of a dedicated shuttle from LCY to LHR.

If you don't want to use public transport, then the best bet is a pre-booked car service. Check the POLL thread for a list of generally well reviewed services - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k48869…

You can do the journey step free by DLR and tube in about 1hr20-1hr30 with a cash fare of £5.50. Take the DLR from LCY to Canning Town and switch to the Jubilee line. Take that train to Green Park and change to the Piccadilly line for Heathrow. The change at Green Park is easiest if you ignore the signs on the platform and follow the signs to the exit ("Way Out"); take the escalators up to the ticket hall, stay train side and then take the escalator down to the Piccadilly line.

That said, if you do choose the DLR/tube please let us know the day of travel, in case there are weekend engineering works that affect the route.

London
Level Contributor
12,779 posts
69 reviews
20 helpful votes
3. Re: Connection between London City Airport and Heathrow

Since the different airports business seems to have caught you unawares, I'll also mention that you must collect all your baggage at LCY. It is not transferred to LHR by BA.

4. Re: Connection between London City Airport and Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 am, June 07, 2013
Bingley, United...
Level Contributor
35,567 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Connection between London City Airport and Heathrow

< I think shuttle service is there. >

Advertising your company again?

There is NO shuttle service between London City and Heathrow

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
35,400 posts
7 reviews
16 helpful votes
6. Re: Connection between London City Airport and Heathrow

Good spot Alan. About time that guy's account (#4) is reported for blatant advertizing.

UK
Level Contributor
10,262 posts
27 reviews
25 helpful votes
7. Re: Connection between London City Airport and Heathrow

Normally when a connection involves a change of airports this is clearly stated on the airline's web site - at least in my experience. Could it be that you somehow managed to miss it?

Do you think there is any possibility of changing your booking to a Heathrow flight - or are you on a totally non-changeable ticket?

If you need mobility assistance then the suggestion in reply No 2 is probably not going to work for you... those changes may well be step-free, but they do involve a fair bit of walking. And I don't believe you can arrange mobility assistance at Tube stations (you can at mainline train stations)

Connecticut
3 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Connection between London City Airport and Heathrow

Thank you all for you responses. You confirmed that there is no shuttle to Heathrow from London City. That is something the British Airways does not seem to know. I will let them know.

Thank you also for for the tips on the public transport. I am traveling with someone older and the London underground is a plus when going to dinner or a show, but dragging luggage under the pressure to catch a flight....well the comment was "do you want to me to have a heart attack?". This person is a fun travel companion {loves food, history, museums, architecture etc]. I really appreciate the link to Tripadvisor reviewed services...looks like we will arrange a driver service.

For the person from the UK who asked about the clarity of the site, I am from the US and I just did not realize that I needed to make sure the connecting planes would land in the same airport. That is new to me. I have talked to others from US who are surprised this option is presented on the same page as same airport. Some described it as bizarre. One admitted to the same mistake, but the recovery was a bit easier, as there was a shuttle between the airports. With London City there is no shuttle, so the options are multiple transfers via public transportation or a cab ride. The cost of the cab is less than the fee imposed for change of flight ( or the heart attack) , so it comes down to footing for a cab.

Thank you all for your contributions....you were really helpful!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
60,665 posts
12 reviews
91 helpful votes
9. Re: Connection between London City Airport and Heathrow

The BA website indicates that one may add a private transfer to the booking, not that ground transport is included in a booking.

The DLR plus Underground journey is step free from start to finish. The terminal building at LCY is about two minutes' walk from the DLR station, which has escalators or lifts from the ticket hall to the plaforms. There are lifts at Canning Town as well. The change from one platform to another involves a short walk and will take no more than three or four minutes, including waiting for the lift.

At Green Park there are lifts, but it's far easier to take the escalator up to the ticket hall from the Jubilee line platform then another down to the Piccadilly line platform for the train to LHR T5. The connection via lift *does* involve a long hike but the escalator route does not. I make the change at Green Park fairly often (and made the change at Canning Town a couple of months ago) with bags in tow, and whilst slower than when unecumbered, it is far from difficult.

The walk from the Underground station to the lifts at T5 will take one minute. The lifts go straight up to Departures.

Depending on when you plan to travel (this is key), using the DLR and Underground may be faster than the journey by road. Unless you are very pushed for time, using transport is an option to reconsider.

London
Level Contributor
12,779 posts
69 reviews
20 helpful votes
10. Re: Connection between London City Airport and Heathrow

Your point about the BA site offering these connections to unsuspecting visitors is interesting. I often book through the American Express travel site, and I noticed that the Amex site will only offer same airport connections - it never offers me the mixed London airport option.