We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Underground Advice - Oystercard or Travelcard

Brough, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
London Underground Advice - Oystercard or Travelcard

My boyfriend and I are going to London for 3 nights next month, arriving via train at Kings Cross and staying in the Grange White Hall Hotel. I've only been to London once before a few years back and I was wondering whether an oystercard or travelcards would be best for us? We plan on seeing all the sights in central London and we are going to a West End show on the second evening. I also wondered whether it is better to get a tube from the train station to the hotel or a taxi?

Thanks in advance,

Laura

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,714 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Underground Advice - Oystercard or Travelcard

If you are also returning by train, and your tickets are ordinary tickets and not the 'print-at-home' variety, they will be valid for the 2FOR1 offers. Make sure you retain the outward portion - so when you get to Kings Cross don't put them in the ticket barrier, but find a member of staff and ask them to let you through. You need to show both outward and return portions of your ticket to claim the offers.

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

In this case, I personally think you would then be better off using pay-as-you-go on Oyster to travel around London. You will need to pay a £5 deposit on each card, but you can reclaim that when you leave London together with any unused credit - or simply keep the card for a future visit.

2. Re: London Underground Advice - Oystercard or Travelcard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 13, 2014