We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying tickets from Halfprice Tix vs Theatre directly?

melbourne, australia
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Topic
Buying tickets from Halfprice Tix vs Theatre directly?

Hello,

We would like to see some shows but on many of our days in London we have activities planned and won't be able to get to the half price booth probably before late afternoon and I assume most of the tickets will be gone by then.

I know I could book in advance but for 3 people in good seats the cost adds up quickly and we are not entirely sure which nights we would want, or be up to going, to the theatre as I have read many trip reports where people have pre booked tickets and then are so tired from their days activities that they didn't really enjoy themselves.

so I was wondering if all/most/some/few theatres keep tickets for sale on the night and if so are they usually only the really cheap upper circle ones?

I was thinking of Top Hat, The Lady Killers in particular but really we would probably be happy with anything

melbourne, australia
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying tickets from Halfprice Tix vs Theatre directly?

I probably am trying to keep some flexibility in our plans so we can say

"lets go to the theatre tonight"

and not say in the afternoon where ever we may be

"come on we have to hurry up as we have theatre tickets and we still have to get dinner before and we can't hang around here any longer"

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying tickets from Halfprice Tix vs Theatre directly?

Luck of the draw really.

I have bought great tickets last minute from the ticket booth but I didn't have a particular show in mind.

melbourne, australia
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying tickets from Halfprice Tix vs Theatre directly?

But did you get there early in the morning?

Does anyone have experience of getting to the booth late afternoon and there still be a variety of tickets available?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying tickets from Halfprice Tix vs Theatre directly?

Sorry maybe my answer wasn't clear.

I bought them around 5pm.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
289 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying tickets from Halfprice Tix vs Theatre directly?

We bought 4 tickets an hour or so before curtain, directly from the theatre, on a weekday in mid-March. There were tickets available at every price level. They were cheaper than what was available at the Leicester square booth that we had checked that morning.

melbourne, australia
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying tickets from Halfprice Tix vs Theatre directly?

wow, that's good to know thanks and thanks to bcBEZ too, it puts my mind at ease about getting good tickets late on the day we want to go to the theatre.

7. Re: Buying tickets from Halfprice Tix vs Theatre directly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 12, 2014