We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips from Warwickshire

Maine, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips from Warwickshire

First just want to say THANK-YOU all for all the generous advise and tips I have read on this forum, what a treasure. I am so excited arriving London on Fri the 18th, but spending the rest of the week in Wellesbourne Warwickshire, know about the castle and plan on visiting Blenheim Palace, any other ideas? Thanks, Tami

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips from Warwickshire

Oxford, Stratford, the Organic Gardening Centre in Ryton near Coventry, the canals of Birmingham...

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips from Warwickshire

You are only 20 miles or so from the Cotswolds so you could take in towns such as Chipping Camden, Broadway, Stow and Burford.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips from Warwickshire

You must visit Baddesley Clinton House, fine example of a late medieval fortified manor, although the March 2nd opening date may be just a little late for you. Otherwise the ruins of Kenilworth Castle are also quite local. Once owned by Elizabeth I's favourite Robert Dudley.

As others have said the Cotswolds, Stratford and Oxford are well worth a visit.

Maine, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips from Warwickshire

What about Bath/ As I figure it it is about 75 miles away, worth the drive?

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips from Warwickshire

Wellesbourne is on a very famous Roman road, known as the Fosse Way. A fosse is an old word for a ditch and it is believed that this road formed the edge of the Roman Empire for a brief period until they extended both North and West.

Anyway, this road cuts right through the Cotswolds via Moreton in Marsh, Stow on the Wold, Northleach, Cirencester, Tetbury, Didmarton (Charles and Camilla's local church and estate!!) and ultimately down to Bath. So it's an easy, straight journey and very attractive as well. Would take you about 90 minutes to get to Bath.

Colorado
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips from Warwickshire

Hi, I will be staying 3 nights in Warwick so I've been checking out the area. You are closer to Stratford than Warwick so i hope you are going to check that out and go see a RSC play. Just north of Warwick is the town of Kenilworth and Kenilworth Castle. Another town that I'd like to visit is Henley-in-Arden, just west of Warwick. One web page I've found really good is 'Heart of England' which not only gives things to do but tells about Tolkein's connection to the area. It has some nice links and beautiful photos of many towns and villages in the area and lists some of the beautiful churches in the area. The Rollright Stones are between you and Blenheim and you might want to stop and have a look. Something to think about besides the normal Cotswolds tours.

http://www.cv81pl.freeserve.co.uk/

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips from Warwickshire

Rise up stick and stand still stone,

for King of England there shall be none,

As Long Compton thou didst not see,

Thy and thy Knights hoar stones shall be,

And I, myself, an elder tree.

These are not the rantings of a madman, it's just Tracy's suggestion of the Rollright Stones reminded me of a little rhyme as to how the stones came to be there. A King was tricked by a Witch into trying to view the village of Long Compton in the Cotswolds but as a large mound of earth suddenly appeared infront of him, he failed in his task so the Witch turned him and his knights to stone. Why she turned herself into a tree is anyones guess, but the Bronze Age stone circle is a good suggestion for a visit and well worth the 50p admission. Great views as well, irrespective of the alleged Witch's curse!!

Colorado
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trips from Warwickshire

Oops, just realized you already mentioned Kenilworth Henneth, my bad. Yeah, you gotta love that story about the Rollright stones. They aren't as well known as Stonehenge, but much older (they do show their age though :-)

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
693 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trips from Warwickshire

TracyColorado

Henley in Arden is lovely but you will not need all day (its about 6miles north of Stratford). There are some lovely old churches and be sure to visit the heritage centre (next to the ice cream shop) it is very interesting. Be sure also to sample one of the ice creams too as they are famous in these parts.

Hope you enjoy your visit

Asha

Colorado
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trips from Warwickshire

Thanks Asha, I figured on doing Henley-in-Arden the same day as Stratford. Will definitely have some ice cream and walk the streets a bit before heading back to Warwick. Always great to have advise from a local. I may quiz you on some things as our trip gets closer. Cheers!