We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in London for the seasoned traveler?

Stockholm, Sweden
3 posts
Save Topic
Things to do in London for the seasoned traveler?

Hell all,

I am quite a regular visitor to London for business but always try to see as much of the city as possible. I have seen all the main tourist attractions but I want to go a bit deeper into the heart of the city.

Would anyone recommend some things for me to do, go and see? I love exhibitions and art (but I've been to the main/big galleries), I love eating out and I like to explore new neighborhoods in the city (but out of the center (Westminster, Kensington etc).

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Malin

Essex
Level Contributor
27,629 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in London for the seasoned traveler?

The Guildhall Galleries

The Serpentine Gallery

Dulwich Gallery

The Geffrye Museum

The Museum of Docklands

The RAF Museum

The Museum of Childhood

The Whitechapel Gallery

Bow Bells Foundry....

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,346 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in London for the seasoned traveler?

The William Morris Gallery in Walthamstow.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in London for the seasoned traveler?

I would venture out east - the William Morris Gallery mentioned above is worth a visit, the area around Victoria Park is lovely (nice walks along the canal if the weather is good) and if you wanted to visit a new neighbourhood that you haven't seen before, Wanstead is a really nice area to visit. It has a very villagey feel, lots of interesting shops and places to eat, and a couple of good pubs (one of them, The Cuckfield, does excellent food).

Edited: 10:28 am, April 17, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in London for the seasoned traveler?

Glad you are getting to know London so well! Welcome to our great city

As a local, I still discover oddities and new things by following walking guide books - a couple of good London Walks books exist on amazon or in bookshops and you can guide yourself around those for some great quirks and things you'd not otherwise notice

I'd also head out to the suburbs to see how Londoners live - in particular I'd recommend Richmond (at the end of the District Line) for a cute town centre, the Green, the Thames and Richmond Park - you can look back at the London skyline from Richmond Hill inside Richmond Park, or go up King Henry's Mound in Pembroke Lodge in Richmond Park for a spectacular long range view of St Paul's Cathedral, where Henry VIII stood to hear his wife being executed at the Tower!

Finally I'd recommend some river meanders along the South Bank towards Tower Bridge then on towards Bermondsey through the old dockyards, now fancy apartments

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in London for the seasoned traveler?

You could spend a whole day in hampstead, the Heath offers some lovely walks and the village and high street has pubs and restaurants.

If you have never explored the east end, now is the time to do it, shorditch, hoxton and brick lane could fill a day with a few pub stops.

Broadway and roman road market along with Victoria park would also be worth a visit.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,199 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in London for the seasoned traveler?

In terms of museums, google Museum Mile for some nice smaller museums.

Someone mentioned the Dulwich Picture Gallery, which is first rate with an excellent cafe ..see its website

Ham House..see National Trust website

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in London for the seasoned traveler?

And now for something completely diferent! Go to Highgate Cemetery! You can take the tour and it is absolutely fascinating, lots of famous people there, beautiful headstones and statues, very Victorian and almost unearthly. I've been twice and it has actually been one of the days-out I'll always remember. Go to their website and take a look around. I believe it isn't that far from the Hampstead Heath area as well....Oh, (and I'm doing this from memory at work so don't have the tube map)...but I think it's up on the Northern, (black) line of the Tube....

Edited: 4:13 pm, April 17, 2013
Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in London for the seasoned traveler?

I rather liked the Walkace Collection & the Courtald Gallery

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in London for the seasoned traveler?

Hello! If you haven't already been, I suggest the Foundling Hospital Museum at Coram Fields - a fascinating insight into London's abandoned or orphaned children in past centuries and the philanthropic endeavours to help them. Plus a nice small art collection, donations from wealthy supporters

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in London for the seasoned traveler?

http://www.mallgalleries.org.uk/

And Two Temple Place is often missed. Latest exhibition just finished but building open to the public nevertheless. Not sure when the next exhibition starts