We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Map Showing Zones of London?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Muskoka District...
Level Contributor
228 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Map Showing Zones of London?

Hi again:

I will be buying a 7 day travel card for our 8 night stay in London in May but not sure whether to just get the Zone 1 and 2 price (30.40 GBP?) or if we need more zones. I understand most attractions are within Zones 1 and 2. We are still putting together our itinerary and list of places to see. Is there a map of the London zones somewhere that will help me?

Thanks very much!

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Map Showing Zones of London?

tfl.gov.uk/assets/…standard-tube-map.pdf

The zones are shown in lite blue under the more colorful tube lines.

HTH!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,905 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Map Showing Zones of London?

To follow on from amama's useful post, keep in mind that small, folded, pocket size Tube maps are available free of charge at all Underground stations. Look for them in racks in the ticket window area at stations. You will also find maps on the platforms, and direction signs in the station corridors and on platforms, like this: londontransportoriginalsigns.co.uk/London_Un…

Edited: 9:11 pm, April 06, 2013
Muskoka District...
Level Contributor
228 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Map Showing Zones of London?

Thanks again for all your useful answers!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Map Showing Zones of London?

And just as a guide, a couple of points -

Remember than a travelcard gives you bus travel in all zones, so if it's easy to get off a tube or train within zone, and take a bus out of zone, you don't need the extra zone on your travecard.

And, (notwithstanding the above) .... and assuming that you're staying in zone 1 ....... if you plan to go into zone 3, even for just one day, it's just as economical (if not more so) to buy a seven day zone 1-3 TC up front. The difference in the cost is £5.20, and off peak Oyster fares for the tube/DLR from z1 to z3 and back would come to £5.40.

For other plans you'd need to work it out for yourself (I have that conundrum when I visit London as I split my stay between zone 2 and zone 6). But generally speaking, a zone 1-2 or 1-3 is best, backed up with Oyster PAYG for out of zone tube rides and (assuming paper TCs) cash extension fares for the train.

Muskoka District...
Level Contributor
228 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Map Showing Zones of London?

Learning something new about London transit everyday!! I did NOT know that the Travel card bus travel is good for all zones! Hmmm. We are intending to get the 7 day Travel Card for sure and supplement it with the Oyster PAYG for our lst and last day.

I read that a passport sized photo is needed to buy a Travel Card. Does it have to be a passport photo or just any good head photo that is the size of a passport photo?? I don't want to pay an extra $20 just to get that photo.

Thanks again so much for the other info and hoping someone can still help me with this photo question.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Map Showing Zones of London?

>> Does it have to be a passport photo or just any good head photo that is the size of a passport photo?? <<

Any good head shot that is passport size will do. You can print one out at home.

Muskoka District...
Level Contributor
228 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Map Showing Zones of London?

Perfect! Thanks so much! One more thing please, colour pic or black and white?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,905 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Map Showing Zones of London?

Either colour or black and white photo will be acceptable for the NR Photocard.

Muskoka District...
Level Contributor
228 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Map Showing Zones of London?

Thank you all again so much!!

Aventura, Florida
Level Contributor
982 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Map Showing Zones of London?

Great to know about the buses not observing zones. We are planning to get to Firepower by tube to North Greenwich and then a bus. I could not tell from the zone map if North Greenwich is in Zone 2 or 3. Can someone tell me?

Also, if using a zone 1-2 7-day paper travel card, what happens if you get on a tube in zone 1 an then get off in zone 3?

Edited: 9:51 am, April 07, 2013