We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

closest overground station to Oxford YHA?

Sacramento
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
closest overground station to Oxford YHA?

Hi,

we are staying at the Oxford St YHA and need to get our travelcards to take advantage of the 241 deals. The hostel is close to Oxford Circus tube stop. Which rail station is easiest to access from there? TIA!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,364 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: closest overground station to Oxford YHA?

If you are travelling from Heathrow to central London for the Oxford Street hostel, take the Underground to King's Cross then bus to the hostel from there.

The Piccadilly line will take you from LHR to KX in an hour. After obtaining your new Travelcards, leave the rail station and walk two minutes (at most) to stop R for any of the numbers 10, 73 or 390. The 10 starts its journey at KX, so should have room for you and your bags. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…kingscross.pdf

Alight at stop ON - called as Wardour Street but much nearer Berwick Street - and walk along Berwick Street to Noel Street. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/oxfo…

The Victoria line will take you from King's Cross to Oxford Circus station, but there are stais up from train platform to ticket hall and street level, and if you will have luggage or backpacks with you, you may not want to deal with the crowds in and around the station or for the walk from station to hostel.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: closest overground station to Oxford YHA?

Marylebone is closest, Paddington is next closest.

Sacramento
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: closest overground station to Oxford YHA?

Tavellerplus- Thanks so much for your very concise and detailed instructions. Little details like stairs and such are why this forum is invaluable :)

notherncalifgal- hi from another northern cal gal! We'll head to Marylebone if we don't get the travelcards the day we arrive.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: closest overground station to Oxford YHA?

3rdrs---sending you some rain in a few hours, if you are still in Sacratomato

Sacramento
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: closest overground station to Oxford YHA?

Yes, the the clouds are building in Sacratomato, Sactown, or as we locals call it "the shining capital of our glorious state" (tongue firmly in cheek-smarts a bit ;)) And, it's going to rain further east where I actually live. Can't hardly complain since I am posting on the London forum. I'm pretty sure Londonites are NOT impressed if we Californians complain about a little weather!

Oxford UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: closest overground station to Oxford YHA?

The title of your thread says 'Oxford YHA'. Please ensure that if you are asking directions or getting a cab in London you ask for Oxford STREET YHA. Otherwise you may end up at the YHA in Oxford, some 60 miles away!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: closest overground station to Oxford YHA?

Exactly. The answer to the post title is Oxford railway station which is the closest overground station to Oxford YHA, in fact it's next door.......but it turns out that's not the information the OP actually requires.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: closest overground station to Oxford YHA?

If we are being ever so slightly picky (and why not?) neither Kings Cross nor Oxford is an 'overground' station. They are National Rail stations as OP wanted though

At a guess the nearest 'overground' station is Camden Road

But I suspect the battle to be pedantic over this is lost.

Sacramento
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: closest overground station to Oxford YHA?

True, I did not specify Oxford or Oxford Street in the title, but I DID say Oxford St. in the body of my question.(and the mention of the Oxford Circus tube stop further defined my request) Just sayin :) I do thank you all for your help and the reminder to be more specific in my post titles!

Hayes, England...
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: closest overground station to Oxford YHA?

Visit http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modalpages/2688.aspx this link, it will help you.