We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airline - flying Newark to London

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
81 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Best airline - flying Newark to London

Hi there, I'm traveling to London in the fall. Can anyone suggest the best airline from Newark, NJ to London? I'm looking for a good flight price-wise, coach class, overnight flight.

Is there a day to fly there that is cheaper? I'm looking to travel in October or November, and can be flexible with which day of the week to depart and return. I'm planning to go for 7-10 days.

Any help is much appreciated.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,231 reviews
from $140.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,955 reviews
from $144.53*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
512 reviews
from $97.73*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
812 reviews
from $97.73*
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best airline - flying Newark to London

There are only three airlines that fly non stop from Newark to Heathrow, BA, Virgin and United.

I am a big fan of BA but the others will both have their supporters, Ultimately you will have to play around on the websites of these airlines and see what is what. Once you have found a rate that you can live with press "buy" and DO NOT even think about going back to see if the price has gone up or down. That way madness lies!!

Generally midweek flights are a few pounds/dollars cheaper than at the weekend but that is a generalisation. There may also be sales with BA and Virgin. TravellerPlus who posts here regularly is wise as to when the next ones might be.

One last thing - strictly speaking some people might think this thread isn't London related which could mean it getting zapped. If that happens then please repost over at the air travel forum - tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best airline - flying Newark to London

>>>Once you have found a rate that you can live with press "buy" and DO NOT even think about going back to see if the price has gone up or down. That way madness lies!!<<<

Ding Ding Ding! That's the best advice you'll get about buying international airfare. The prices fluctuate on their own terms. The difference between the three airlines mentioned above probably isn't worth paying extra for. BA is reputed as having the best service, but whoever had the lowest price of them would get my money. Looks like United and BA have more flights to choose from than Virgin.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,269 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best airline - flying Newark to London

There are also direct flights from philly if that is any help. US Air and BA.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
81 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best airline - flying Newark to London

Thanks all this is so helpful. I could also easily fly out from Philly. But it's good to hear all three airlines out of Newark are pretty comparable.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best airline - flying Newark to London

There are a few significant differences regards seating.

On BA if you wish to book your seats in advance there is a charge. Can't recall offhand exactly what it is, about $30 each way or so. They are free to allocate at OLCI 24 hours ahead, and in general most people report they can get reasonable seats as long as they are online at 24 hours but there are exceptions. Also, be careful when booking flights on BA, if you wish to fly BA make sure it's a BA flight and note a code share on American.

On UA you can buy extra legroom seats (E+) for around $100 each way. Some might think this is a better spend of money than with BA others might say its relatively short and not worth it.

On Virgin, you can allocate your seats for free at 90 days to go, but once 60% are allocated you have to wait until you are at the airport. And nothing to do with seating but food on Virgin is generally very poorly reviewed.

Enjoy :-)

Edited: 5:24 pm, March 20, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,893 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best airline - flying Newark to London

I think (not entirely sure) that AA are stopping flights from EWR to LHR from the end of this month.

If BA don't have a sale in August or September for travel through November, I will be very surprised. Past performance is, as always, no guarantee of future results, but in the last three years they've been kind enough to drop fares for those who wish to travel in October and November. To that end I say wait, and watch.

If you have an afiliation with StarAlliance, then look to US or UA. If you're a oneworld traveller then BA will be the way forward. VS is certainly a reasonable option as well.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best airline - flying Newark to London

Just to give a little perspective on United, who I fly a lot.

The Economy Plus feature that Joe mentions (from $100) gives you 4-5" extra legroom which is significant. Whether you'd want to pay it for a 6-6.5 hour flight to London is up to you; whatever you choose the regular economy seats have the same seat pitch (legroom) as BA and Virgin's regular Y. All the economy seats have in seat video with AVOD, which is the same as BA and VS.

You do have to pay for alcoholic drinks on United transatlantics ($7 for beer and wine). The main thing to bear in mind is that three of the four daily United flights on EWR-LHR are on 757 narrowbodies, which can be off-putting to some. The other flight is on a 777, so you may want to make sure you book that flight should you choose UA.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
596 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best airline - flying Newark to London

United has a morning flight out of Newark that arrives in London the same day. I love the daytime flight. There is no need to try to sleep in a cramped plane seat and you will arrive at LHR with sufficient time to take the tube into the city.

I don't know if Virgin or BA has a daytime flight.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best airline - flying Newark to London

Just to add to USBusinesstraveller's post #7. The 777 United flight is also the only one that has wifi access (of the United flights that is, not sure about the other airlines) in case that's important to you.

Edited: 9:29 pm, March 20, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best airline - flying Newark to London

No wifi on tthe UA 777's yet. Only 747 (2), A319 (16) and A320(3) so far.

flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-conso…