We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

london pass ? good or bad ?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
260 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
london pass ? good or bad ?

heading down with the missus in august to give our 5 year old his london debut. to cut a very long saga slightly shorter, we are staying in egham 4 days, day 4 being the day we go to legoland & then leave for home. that leaves us 3 full days as i plan driving thru the nite to get to egham for morning so we can start our sightseeing at windsor castle on day 1, followed by heading to our nearby hotel to check in & chill after a long journey & day out.

2 full days will be spent in the city so tell me, london pass or not ?

ive read all the opinion about 2 for 1 deals etc and they make a good case indeed.

also read the opinion about only needing zone 1 & 2 travel but as we will be staying in egham we will need 6 zone travel plus thru fare from feltham to egham, if im reading the script right.

so fire away troops, all ideas, suggestions & tips will be gladly received.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,898 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: london pass ? good or bad ?

What attractions are you planning on visiting during your two full days in London? That's the key determining factor, as well as ensuring that you don't try to cram too many attractions in; you should plan on a maximum of two per day, with possibly a third if you find you have time.

Then, look at Hoogo's spreadsheet and see which one works best - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k44961…

Egham is outside the London travel zones. So the "with Travel" option to the LP will be useless, unless you plan on driving into zone 6 every day and trying to park at a railway or tube station. What you'll need is a combination train/travelcard ticket issued at Egham railway station. Those cost £17.50 for adults and £8.75 for your 5 year old who will need as a minimum tickets to travel on National Rail. As those travelcards are issued by National Rail, they would make you eligible for 2 for 1.

Personally, I think you'll find it difficult to visit enough attractions to cover the cost of a two LP, especially with a 5 year old. The benefit of 2 for 1 is that you save as you go, and you've paid nothing up front that "forces" you visit more places than you can or feel like doing on the day.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: london pass ? good or bad ?

Are you really going to rush around with a five-year-old trying to get value from the London Pass?. There are a lot of free places for him to see. Several museums (eg the Science Museum) have special sections for children.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
260 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: london pass ? good or bad ?

i was considering the 3 day pass. day 1 windsor castle. day 2 st pauls cathedral, the monument, tower of london, tower bridge & a river cruise. day 3 westminster abbey, the jewel house, wellington arch followed by sightseeing around buckingham palace, trafalgar sq etc. maybe nip in a shop or 2 en route to keep the missus sweet.

i know it sounds tight time wise but i reckon the only 1 of these attractions that we will spend more than an hour or 2 in will be the tower of london. a 5 year old has to be kept moving on this type of gig or boredom sets in quick. and we will concentrate our efforts on seeing attractions in specific areas to cut out lengthy journey times. also will do stuff like a river cruise when other attractions have closed for the day.

i know all about the free museums etc but every city in the world has that. glasgows got a good few but if i was a visitor to the city i wouldnt go to them because they are free. id go to the top drawer attractions.

hence, when in london with a 5 year old, dont go to countless museums to look at pictures & armour & stuffed woolly mammoths !

go to huge cathedrals, climb tall monuments & visit ancient towers where they tortured people & cut off their heads & then rammed then on a pike !!

its a toss of the coin whether to get the london pass but i would like to take the wee guy to the top drawer attractions.

i think my main area needing local help & advice is the travel. it will be by rail from egham. unless i was to drive to feltham and be inside zone 6 ? which would be a pain in the erse really. any opinion on best travelcard would be most welcome.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
260 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: london pass ? good or bad ?

US, you say £17.50 for me & the missus & &8.75 for the wee guy would get us travelcards. i gather that price is per day ? and does it cover all travel eg tube, overground, bus, tram from central london through to egham ? thanks for your advice its much appreciated.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: london pass ? good or bad ?

Your best travelcard will be the one day through travelcard from Egham as in #1. It is valid for 2 for 1. You need it anyway. You don't need to pay for a London pass on top of it

It covers all travel in zones 1-6 plus one return journey from Egham into zone 6

On the day you go to Windsor day returns to Windsor rather than a travelcard.

Edited: 7:55 pm, March 17, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,898 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: london pass ? good or bad ?

Yes. That's, £17.50 for each adult per day, off-peak. That gives you a zone 1-6 travelcard, and a same day off peak return from Egham to the boundary of zone 6 (BZ6). You can only travel between Egham and BZ6 once in each direction. Your son, being 5 cannot travel for free on the trains, but can travel free on the tube, bus and DLR (and tram). So you don't necessarily have to get him an £8.75 travelcard; a return rail ticket between Egham and London for £6.60 may do.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
260 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: london pass ? good or bad ?

excellent thats good advice thanks US & dzug1 ! will need to weigh up pros & cons of 2 for 1 against london pass now though !! most people say dont bother so we shall see what the figures look like.

any of you guys tried the viewing at the shard yet ? my son was an avid viewer of all tv programmes concerning its construction and id like to take him up ! my wife wanted to go on the eye but the wee fella would love the shard. that & the fact its so much higher i reckon justifies being more expensive than the eye. i still reckon its overpriced though, so its another we shall see scenario i suppose.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,898 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: london pass ? good or bad ?

Personally I think you've got too much crammed in for day two. Also, when you say "Jewel House" do you mean the Jewel Tower (the Crown Jewels are housed in the Tower of London), and do you intend using the Red Rover all day pass for the cruise (you can probably get something cheaper without the LP)?

Nevertheless, I took the numbers from Hoogo's spreadsheet for all those. And for the two adults -

Total cost of entry tickets (no LP or 241) - £201

Total cost using 3 day London Pass - £154

Tota cost using discounted 3 day LP - £138.60

Total cost using 241 - £132.50

As I mentioned earlier, 241 is save as you go, so if you dropped one or two attractions because of time the cost with 241 also drops. With London Pass, you would have already paid the £154/£138.60 up front.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,832 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: london pass ? good or bad ?

USBT makes excellent points. As a general rule, I would count on seeing two major sights a day (like St. Paul's Cathedral and Tower of London) with the possibility of a third. You have got way too much in your schedule, as I see it, and the London Pass will end up being your most expensive option.

Use the 2-4-1 deals and take off the roller skates.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: london pass ? good or bad ?

The Museum of London, which is free, is a "top class" attraction, as is the British Museum and a number of others. They are free, but are world class.

The Museum of London (and the others) have special trails for children which could make a visit fun for your child.

The Museum of London puts the other places you are visiting into context, which may make London even more memorable.

It is also a short walk from St. Paul's.

Edited: 4:06 am, March 18, 2013