We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary

washington, dc
Level Contributor
30 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary

We are 63 and will be in London for 6 days in September. We enjoy museums,national landmarks, walking in parks, picnicking and I am overwhelmed by the bounty in London. We live in Washington DC and understand that we can't "do" everything well but we want to make the best of it all (maybe to return another day). We are staying at a b and b near Pimlico station, we are buying both the Oyster ticket and probably a train ticket to take advantage of the 2for1's. We are not that interested in restaurants but enjoy people watching and not rushing about . Can you help us narrow down my top 30 list for London? thank you, Barbara

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary

Where is your top 30 list? Since you will be there for 6 days, I'd suggest getting the paper 7 day Travelcard from a National Rail Station. You'll get unlimited rides on trains and buses and can use the 2for1's. Only bother with an Oyster if you want to save a few quid (dollars) on the ride to and from the airport. It's £5.50 cash for £3 on Oyster from Heathrow, assuming that's where you're flying in and out of, to central London.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,043 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary

I think if you don't want to rush around, and are only here for 6 days (presumably including arrival and departure) a top 20 is more realistic. I would start with a good guide book and maybe some of the trip reports to give you some insight and inspiration. By all means post a draft itinerary - we can sometimes help tweak these to make them more manageable. On the whole 2 major+1 minor site per day is about all people can manage time and energy wise, so bear that in mind when planning.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary

Hello Barbara. Does your six days include the arrival and departure days or do you have six clear days?

London is a great place for people watching. We think walking and people watching is a much better way of enjoying the city than just rushing from one 'sight' or museum to another. You can combine people watching with sightseeing by just walking around - almost anywhere in central London will combine both, but theWestminster/ Whitehall/ Trafalgar Square walk is particularly good, as is strolling down river from Westminster to Southwark along the South Bank. Covent Garden is also good -there are lots of excellent buskers round there.

If you want to go somewhere that's a bit far to walk, my suggestion is take a bus - may be slower than the tube but you see much more en route. Just enjoy wandering around and don't worry to much about a strict itinerary. You'll love it

Edited: 4:31 pm, March 06, 2013
washington, dc
Level Contributor
30 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary

thank you, six full days , 7 nights, all London. I think we could spend weeks!

washington, dc
Level Contributor
30 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary

We , first off, want to visit the National Gallery, Natural History Museum, British Museum, Tate Modern, St.Paul's Cathedral ,Victoria and Albert Museum, and Westminster Abbey.

then, if it isn't' too much of a stretch on a relaxed vacation, National Portrait, Buckingham Palace, Kensington Gardens, Covent Gardens,Globe Theatre, Tower of London.

I guess my question is, are any of these places better left for another trip?

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary

Have you gone to the library and found a London guidebook yet?

That's a great way to start.

You'll find that the major museums are free -- if you did one a day you'd be doing well. Others that you pay for, like the Globe Theatre museum, are well worth it.

I like riding upstairs in the bus in the front seats, especially if you are tired. I never get weary of looking out at the buildings. The No. 15 bus is especially wonderful.

Use the Transport for London website to plan trips, get maps, and find out if any tube lines are being worked on at the weekend (very common).

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary

The No. 24 bus that goes through Pimlico is quite wonderful too. You'll find it useful to get to the center. It goes past Victoria Station, New Scotland Yard,near the Queen's Tower with Big Ben the bell, goes near Parliament, near Westminster Abbey,Trafalgar Square, through Bloomsbury for the British Museum, and Camden. If you have less time, take the tube.

Find the Transport for London website at

www.tfl.gov.uk

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary

If you did everything on your list, you would be rushing about. Everyone always wants to come back, so you may have to, too. Most of these attractions would take a min. of 2 hours, and 3 hours even better. You won't see everything there either.

P.S. Be prepared for both cold weather and hot weather in Septemer!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary

Keep in mind that Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's Cathedral will not be open on Sundays.

It is sometimes a good idea, as a rule of thumb, to plan for two major sights a day, such as Tower of London and St. Paul's, and then a third if you have the time and energy after lunch, transport time, etc. Both of these attractions take several hours to visit, and St. Paul's has a fairly early closing time. It would not be hard to have them take up your day.

You may look into guided walks through London Walks--

http://www.walks.com/

An inexpensive way to enjoy and appreciate what you are seeing; there are walks on many different themes.

Do post a draft of your itinerary. And try to take advantage of the 2-4-1 deals through the rail station travelcards. (which will serve to get you around London as well)

10. Re: Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 08, 2014