We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostel Information!

London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Hostel Information!

I am coming to london around July 14 and staying until mid August. Am travelling alone, and wondering which hostels are the best. Location and safety are the most important. Idealy, I would like to stay at two or max. three hostels during the trip. Areas of interest to stay in: Kensington, Bloomsbury (theatre district, shopping), Oxford street. Suggestions? I'm looking at YHA Holland Park, however, availability is limited and the only rooms available are 20 bed dorms. Has anyone stayed in a hostel with this many people in one dorm? How does it feel?

Portola Valley...
Level Contributor
163 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hostel Information!

Holland Park is a great location - not far from where Princess Di lived in Kensington Palace. You'll meet plenty of people in the dorm.

You are doing the right thing to join the YHA.

You might look at university rooms too - Imperial College is close by and may let out some student rooms - www.ic.ac.uk.

Foreign students often stay around Earls Court - may cost a bit less than Kensington.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hostel Information!

The St Pancras YHA branch has twin en suite rooms, so you will have some privacy. It is right opposite the British Library.

Despite scaremongering about Kings Cross, the area is safe. It does look untidy (!) as the regeneration work steadily continues.

You would be within a gentle 10 minute walk to the heart of Bloomsbury, i.e. the British Museum.

Several good buses that go to central London attractions stop outside the YH & there is a tube station within 5 minutes stroll.

There's a Pizza Express underneath the YH & several small restaurants in nearby Marchmont Street & Tavistock Place.

For goodies to eat in your room, there's a Marks & Spencer in the nearby Euston station forecourt, a convenience store underneath the hostel & a Starbucks & Pret just by the nearby Kings Cross station.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hostel Information!

I'd recommend you consider a couple of Astor hostels in Bayswater, its just up the road from YHA Holland Park opposite Kensington Gardens & Palace. The Bayswater is perhaps the place to be if you're on a budget.

Astor have their own web site

Another option worth considering is Piccadilly Backpackers, about the most central hostel by Piccadilly Circus and gets good feedback

4. Re: Hostel Information!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 13, 2009