We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Paris - bus 63 question

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
186 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Paris - bus 63 question

We purchased Eurostar tickets to Paris for a Wednesday, leaving at 7:01 AM. Looking at google maps - it says to take bus 63.

The bus schedule i found says to pick the bus up at Southwark Station earliest at 5:50. Google says 20 minutes to get there. We have to check in 30 minutes prior to leaving.

Should this be plenty of time? Do busses operate exactly on time. What time should that put us at St. Pacras station?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Paris - bus 63 question

At that time of day, you'll be there in 20 minutes. However, why not take the Northern Line from London Bridge or the "Thameslink" national rail route from London Bridge or Blackfriars? That goes direct to St Pancras.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Paris - bus 63 question

Does the subway run at an earlier time? We are staying at Novotel London Blackfriars.

Google says 20 minutes from Soutwark station - jubilee line towards stratford

walk to London bridge

Northern line towards barnet

exit kings cross

walk to train station

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Paris - bus 63 question

The 63 schedule:

www.londonbusroutes.net/times/063N063.htm

Looks like 12 minutes at that time in the morning, though I'd be tempted to go for the earlier one at 0532

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Paris - bus 63 question

I would like to go earlier, but the printout says earliest is 5:50 from Southwark on a Wednesday. I did the PDF print from the same site! Now I see the regular link says 5:32. How do I know which to trust?

Also - is this the same number bus we take back after?

Edited: 4:28 pm, February 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Paris - bus 63 question

The earlier buses are N63 and have a separate .pdf print

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Paris - bus 63 question

The bus should be fine. The bus stop is directly on Blackfriars Rd, a few steps from the hotel. But, as you imply, you can't be absolutely sure buses will run exactly to time. At that time of day, they could run early. The Underground (=tube=subway) is not a good alternative for this particular journey. But there are frequent National Rail trains from Blackfriars station to St Pancras. There is a new entrance to Blackfriars station on the south bank of the Thames, shown by a two-directional arrow symbol on the map on your hotel's website. It's only slightly further to walk than Southwark underground station (about 250 yards on the flat). Here's a link to the timetable - scroll down to page 31

firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/static/timetables/…

You'll need to have valid tickets or be prepared to buy them from a ticket machine; the booking office doesn't open until 0715.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,849 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Paris - bus 63 question

And if for some reason the bus doesn't come there should be a reasonable number of taxis around even at that time of the morning. The cost will be about £15 which isn't too bad.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Paris - bus 63 question

I can use my 7 day paper pass for the blackfriars station, correct? The taxi may be a good option! Where do you pick one up? Right in front of the hotel?

I totally appreciate all of your help! You are awesome!

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Paris - bus 63 question

I will have to look at that link later to figure out that schedule! Looks complicated!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Paris - bus 63 question

You may use any valid zones 1 and 2 Travelcard for the FCC train from Blackfriars to St Pancras.

If you decide on the 63, here are the spider maps; stop SA for the journey to KX isn't far from the Novotel Blackfriars: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/sout… tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/king…

Although not indicated on the spider map, the terminus stop for the 63 at King's Cross is stop G in York Way. Buses that terminate there usually pull in short, nearer the junction with Euston Road, so the 17, 390 and 91 can pull up at the stop and board passengers.