We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HOw to get to Doubletree Victoria

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
282 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
HOw to get to Doubletree Victoria

I will be flying to Heathrow - spending a day in London and staying at DOubletree Victoria.

I guess buying an oyster card is the cheapest way , right?

which train do I board and which stop do I get off ?

thank you so much

Edited: 12:24 pm, February 19, 2013
T B
London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HOw to get to Doubletree Victoria

Hello.

An Oyster card will be cheapest if you're here for longer than a day, and intend to travel a lot (as tourists hop from place to place). However you may benefit more from a single day Travelcard, as these can be purchased from Heathrow Tube Station before you travel.

You will need to get the Picadilly line into Central London, and get off at any station after Picadilly Circus, to be in the Heart of London.

When you are ready to go to your hotel, you will need to head towards Victoria station. This is on the District, Circle & Victoria lines, so you'll have ample ways of getting there.

Once you arrive at Victoria Station, the hotel is located opposite Exit Platform 1 and 2 of the train station.

Let me know if you need any more help!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,359 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HOw to get to Doubletree Victoria

The Piccadilly line will not take you directly to Victoria.

With what airline will you fly to Heathrow? There are three Underground stations at the airport, so let us know your start point. All stations have staffed ticket offices, where you may buy an Oyster card and load a bit of PAYG money on it for your journeys.

£10 should be more than enough for one day, but please let us know the time of day and day of the week your flight will arrive at LHR and whether you will use the Underground for the return journey to the airport. Let us know as well whether you'll travel at the weekend, as planned works may have an impact on the journey.

To reach Victoria station, board a Piccadilly line train towards Cockfosters from any of the stations at the airport. Alight at Hammersmith and walk across the platform - takes 10 seconds - for an eastbound District line train towards Upminster (or Tower Hill, Mansion House, even Embankment). Sit near the rear of the District line train to be nearest the way out at Victoria.

Alight at Victoria station and walk along Wilton Road to Bridge Place.

Let us know more about your journey as the directions above may need to be tweaked. You might also enjoy using buses to and from the Victoria area to get around in central London for short journeys.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
282 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HOw to get to Doubletree Victoria

Great!! thank you so much! here are the details:

I will arrive on wednesday , by United, from USA, around 8 am and I would like to go straight to the hotel at least to leave the luggage in case I cant check in early...

than depending how bad my jet lag is, I can go around london a little. I will have a day to spend there and the only thing I have scheduled is a dinner at 6 pm in East end. ....

and the next morning , I have a flight from Heathrow to edinburgh , I think the flight is around noon so....I will need to head back to the airport the next day.

So please, help with the details, I appreciate it.

thanks so much

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,359 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HOw to get to Doubletree Victoria

You're welcome.

UA flights from ORD use LHR T1. With an arrival at 0800, passport control and baggage collection could take about an hour. The walk from T1 Arrivals to the Underground station which serves T1 and T3 will take five minutes.

If you are willing to linger a little at the airport and leave after 0930, the cap for your PAYG on Oyster use for Wednesday will be £8.50. If you touch in at the airport to depart before 0930 the cap will be higher, as off peak travel starts at 0930 on weekdays.

There are no planned works for the Underground on Wednesday, so you may follow the directions for the journey via Hammersmith.

Should you wish to have a look around London, here's a route that passes by a handful of sights: start with the number 11 or 211 from stops S or T in Buckingham Palace Road: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…victoria-120113.pdf

The number 11 continues along Parliament Street and Whitehall if you want to stop and have a look around Parliament Square; if you would like to walk along Whitehall to Trafalgar Square you may do so, with a stop to admire the Horse Guards. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…westminster-a4.pdf

The number 15 from Trafalgar Square towards Blackwall (and the 15 Routemasters towards Tower Hill) will take you along Fleet Street and the City, past St Paul's and to the Tower. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/char… tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…mansion-house.pdf tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/towe…

If you would like to walk across Millennium Bridge to the Tate Modern, you may take the RV1 to the Tower or to County Hall for the Eye. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/sout… The RV1 crosses Tower Bridge, a bit of a treat that rarely fails to please.

Elsewhere, the 52 from Victoria will take you to Hyde Park Corner, the 73 to Oxford Street (via Marble Arch) and the 38 to Piccadillly Circus and beyond.

Your flight to EDI will depart from LHR T5. At Victoria Underground station take a District line train towards Richmond or Ealing Broadway; as the day before, make the cross platform change at Hammersmith. Board a train with the destination LHR T1,3 and T5; sit near the front to be nearest the way out at your destination.

There are lifts up from the Underground level at T5 to Departures. The lifts have neither call buttons nor destination buttons, instead they run on an continuous loop and go from the Tube station level straight up to Departures.

You must have checked in, dropped your bag and be through Security at T5 no later than 35 minutes before scheduled departure time; BA are strict about this. Your flight from T5 will probably depart from a low numbered gate so North security will be a good choice.

Are you set for the journey to east London for your dinner engagement?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
282 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HOw to get to Doubletree Victoria

Amazing! I truly appreciate it. So much detail , !!!!

Well. I have a dinner reservation at "Fifteen" restaurant at 6 pm. I am not sure how long it takes by a tube to get there (lets say from the hotel....or somewhere in the london center) and how to get there once I get off the tube....

before dinner and after the dinner, it is open for strolling around london, depending on a jet lag.....and weather....

Do you know of any great breakfast place near the hotel? with possibly some good waffles or eggs benedict.....??just wondering

THanks so much for the travel tips, I will print them out for my travels

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,359 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HOw to get to Doubletree Victoria

Westland Place (for Fifteen) isn't quite east London, although some who deem themselves so hip they'd fracture a pelvic bone while walking might view it as edgy.

You may make the journey by Underground and bus. You could take the District or Circle line from Victoria to Monument, but changing to the Northern line there is a pain in the neck.

At Victoria Underground station, take a Victoria line train towards Walthamstow Central and alight at King's Cross. From stop E board the 205 towards Bow: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/king… Alight at stop T for Moorfields Eye Hospital; look left and you'll see Fifteen about 20m along Westland Place. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…old-street.pdf

The Tube journey itself from Victoria to KX should take 15 minutes; the 205 another 15 as traffic in City Road could be heavy.

The Regency Cafe, not too far from Victoria, offers fryups and English breakfasts, but they might have poached eggs as well.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: HOw to get to Doubletree Victoria

I've had breakfast here and enjoyed it: http://www.dascalzo.com/

Limited breakfast menu, but good coffee:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
282 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HOw to get to Doubletree Victoria

Thank you sooooooo much for the detailed directions and maps, and breakfast suggestions!

I already feel like I am there :)

Edited: 10:02 am, February 20, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HOw to get to Doubletree Victoria

The Regency Cafe is a great place. If you look up "greasy spoon" on wikipedia, there is a picture of the Regency. It's a London institution, but more for English-style breakfast (cooked meats, eggs, beans and toast) than waffles.

If you want something posher, get a 38 bus from Victoria to Piccadilly (near Green Park tube) and go to the Wolsey. They will definitely have eggs benedict and maybe waffles as well.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
282 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HOw to get to Doubletree Victoria

sounds great!!

i was looking for some breakfast more organic and not too greasy :) ...like... free range eggs and maybe some crepes of waffles...but your suggestions are very yummy :) thanks so much!!!!