We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arosfa hotel and national gallery

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
az
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
arosfa hotel and national gallery

my son has booked me into the Arosfa hotel around Gower street. I am interested in visiting the National Gallery of Art for several days (since I will be pretty much on my own for a few days). Is this the best hotel pricewise and location wise (comfortwise) near the museum. Is it safe to hang out in that area alone?

Essex
Level Contributor
27,476 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arosfa hotel and national gallery

The National Gallery is in Trafalgar Square, I daresay you could find a bus route between your Hotel and there. It is free to visit.

It's a fab gallery, but not the only one in London, the National Portrait Gallery is next door, and free, Tate Britain & Tate Modern, both free, Serpentine Gallery, free, Courtauld Gallery is free at certain times. The Wallace Collection, free, has some great art amongst other exhibits, as does Sir John Soanes Museum (still free).

Dulwich Picture Gallery, a little furthe out of town, was designed by the said Sir John, entry fee here though.

Arosfa is closer to the British Museum than the National Gallery, which exactly, do you wish to visit??

These areas are all relatively safe, as is most of lLondon, you don't have to confine yourself to an area of a few metres from tour hotel for fear.....

az
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arosfa hotel and national gallery

what good and affordable hotel would be close to the national gallery?

Thanks!!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,476 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: arosfa hotel and national gallery

There are several hotels around Trafalgar Square.

What is an affordable budget, to you??

The Arosfa is fine, and it surely is not beyond you to take a bus???

Bus 91 goes to T Square from Russel Square/Tavistock Square...

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,127 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arosfa hotel and national gallery

The 24 and 29 will take you from Gower Street to the National Gallery with no change needed.

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…goodgestreet-a4.pdf Stop C is very near the hotel. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/traf… Although it's not shown on the spider map, the 29 does call at stop D, as that is the terminus point for the bus. Depending on traffic, travel time from the Arosfa shouldn't be more than 10 - 15 minutes.

The 24 and 29 travel from Trafalgar Square along Tottenham Court Road (one way northbound; Gower Street is one way southbound), so alight at the stop for Goodge Street station (stop A) and walk along Torrington Place to the hotel.

Gower Street and surrounds are quite safe as is Trafalgar Square. Nearby Leicester Square is a soulless, windswept place, but you need not spend time there unless absolutely necessary.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,848 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: arosfa hotel and national gallery

Without knowing your budget it's hard to suggest anywhere but considering The National Gallery is in the heart of one of the busiest and most expensive parts of London, the Arosfa is an excellent budget hotel with good transport connections and the fact that your son has booked the hotel...it makes no sense to find anywhere else unless you have an aversion to buses and breakfast in the basement,

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: arosfa hotel and national gallery

I would not even bother taking the bus from Gower Street to Trafalgar Square. It is a short and pleasant walk that I have undertaken countless times. Not knowing the OP's specific interests, I am not sure whether there is a reason for needing to spend so much time in the National Gallery. Perhaps he/she is visiting to undertake some sort of detailed study of artworks that are in its collection. If this is just an ordinary visit then, yes, he/she ought to visit the many of galleries in London, as mentioned above. How soon will this visit be taking place? Kenwood House, an art collection of very considerable importance, will be reopening later this year.

As for safety, I would have no worries at all about Gower Street. In fact, central London is, generally speaking, very safe. I don't recommend hanging around the alleyways of Soho in the hours before dawn, but other than that I think that it's pretty hard to come to much harm. I have experienced quite a bit of crime in London, but always in back turnings or deserted train carriages in the suburbs in the afternoon, never in central London, no matter what time of day or night.

az
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: arosfa hotel and national gallery

Thank you for you info everyone! This is great!

I am an artist and I would like to wander around in the gallery areas too.

Sounds like my hotel is a good location. I just didn't want to get lost, but it sounds like it is even in easy walking distance.

He works in the

I am going to be visiting from March 17th through the 25th.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: arosfa hotel and national gallery

Given your location, you may want to see these exhibitions that are on at SOAS: http://www.soas.ac.uk/gallery/forthcoming. And since you will be staying on Gower Street you could pop into University College, which has several museums, including the Art Museum and the Petrie, which may be of some interest to you: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/museums.

There are also events at the School of Advanced study that are free and open to the public, e.g.:

http://www.history.ac.uk/events/browse/13428

http://www.history.ac.uk/events/browse/13733

http://events.sas.ac.uk/igrs/events/view/13083/Director%27s+Seminar

Otherwise, just Google "London art galleries" and you should find out all that you need. Check websites for the venues in which you are interested, as there are sometimes public events in which you may be interested.

I live near to Dulwich and have been to the gallery many times. I can confirm that a visit is very much worthwhile, as the items in the collection are of very high quality. However, it is not in central London, and it is quite small (compared with the National Gallery), so if you are pressed for time that may be a consideration. Don't forget that the British Museum and the V&A also hold very large, and very good, collections of artworks, sometimes overlooked because they are categorised as museums rather than art galleries, a distinction that is really meaningless. I would also make a plea that you not skip the Courtauld Gallery on account of your having to pay to get into it (as many people do). It does not have as many great paintings as the National Gallery, but it perhaps does have a higher concentration of great paintings per square yard of wall space.

The Guildhall Art Gallery is often overlooked: cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/visiting-th…

Also bear in mind that many artworks can be seen in stately homes, castles, palaces, etc in and around London.

Oh, and don't forget to visit Greenwich, which has the Queen's House art gallery, plus more artworks in the National Maritime Museum, and the beautiful Old Royal Naval College. If you are interested in the Gothic Revival visit the Catholic Church of Our Lady Star of the Sea. In fact, visit churches all around London, where you will see a lot of artworks. All Saints', Margaret Street, is a favourite of mine.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,629 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: arosfa hotel and national gallery

HMS Belfast will be green on St. Patrick's Day.

az
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: arosfa hotel and national gallery

Thanks so much for all the great information!