We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Gatwick

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Gatwick

Hi. We need to get a train from Market Harborough to St Pancras then on to Gatwick airport.

The train from St Pancras to Gatwick (East Midland Trains) states I can buy an all day ticket but says it doesnt include Tube travel. I'm assuming i'm not going on a tube?

Also it states it's unlimited for underground, overground and bus.

So is that the one I want?

Sorry to sound dumb but different countries call trains different things.

I like the all day ticket in case my frirst train is late and it's the same price as the specific train.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Gatwick

You're correct that you won't need the tube - when you arrive at St Pancras from Market Harborough, you will switch to another train (not tube) that goes to Gatwick Airport. You should note, though, that whilst you can book the journey with East Midlands Trains, that journey will actually be on a First Capital Connect train (IIRC, there are signs in the station specifically directing you towards the platforms for First Capital Connect, which are downstairs from the East Midlands platforms, so you just need to look on the departure boards for the next train going through Gatwick Airport).

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Gatwick

I don't know what you mean by an 'all day' ticket. That term is not in official use here. It could be one of several things

If you buy a discounted ticket Market Harborough through to Gatwick on specific trains then if the first train is delayed you are allowed to use the next connecting train to complete your journey. It will be cheaper - if only marginally - than buying separate tickets Market Harborough to St Pancras and St Pancras to Gatwick.

Edited: 8:24 am, February 13, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Gatwick

Thanks. The ticket says anytime single.

But when I click on it it still states a specific train.

Yes it is a little cheaper to do the both trains in one. I'll just do that.

Thank you.

At Gatwick is it far from the train to check in (North Terminal)? I don't like being late so might get an earlier train. Particulaly because we have an Easyjet flight. I keep seeing horror stories on TV. LOL

Edited: 12:27 am, February 14, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,898 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Gatwick

>> At Gatwick is it far from the train to check in (North Terminal)? <<

It's quite easy and at most should take 10 minutes, more likely less. The railway station is at the South Terminal, but there is an automated shuttle that connects to North immediately next to the railway station entrance. From the station exit you'll emerge onto the South arrivals hall. Turn right and walk for about 20-30 seconds to the station entrance and the shuttle.

Page 1 - gatwickairport.com/Documents/…20v4.pdf

The shuttle - …wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/Gatwic…

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Gatwick

The train will arrive at Gatwick station which is located at the South Terminal. When you get off the train, head up the stairs or take the lift to the terminal and turn right, following the signs for North Terminal. There you will find a monorail which will take you to the North Terminal in a couple of minutes

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Gatwick

But why are you getting an anytime single? There are advance singles at half the price or less available on nearly all trains, even in the mornimg peak.

London
Level Contributor
9,697 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to Gatwick

What date are you trying to book for? An 'anytime' single is a 'last resort' ticket and there may be cheaper options.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,415 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to Gatwick

It is a quirk of the train booking systems that, even though you buy a flexible 'anytime' ticket, or an off-peak or super off-peak, you may be allocated a seat on a particular train.

However you are not bound to that train and can catch any train for which that ticket is valid.

Tell us what date and time you are travelling and we might be able to tell you which ticket you need.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train to Gatwick

The train from St Pancras to Gatwick the fare is the same for fixed or anytime.

29th April . Our flight leaves at 4.30 but we'd rather be there more than 2 hours before Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'll just book through from Market Harborough to Gatwick. It's only 17pounds.

To book the 2 separately it's 22 pounds and only the second train is anytime so no benefit really I guess.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,415 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train to Gatwick

OK, but just so you are clear - the £17.00 is an ADVANCE fare, and is for a SPECIFIC departure from Market Harborough to St Pancras International - you cannot travel by any other train (unless there is disruption on the day). Once you get to St Pancras International you just get on the next train out to Gatwick - so for this leg it doesn't matter if you miss the booked train. This ticket is non-refundable.

If you want more flexibility, or you want to buy your ticket on the day, you will need to buy the Super off-peak single at £57.00 (valid on 10.47 and all subsequent departures from Market Harborough), or the Anytime single at £78.50 (valid on any train that day).