We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Edinburgh to London

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
2 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Edinburgh to London

We are going to be traveling by train from Edinburgh to London this coming June and I'm wanting to know best day to travel, as well as the best place to pre purchase our tickets online?

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,664 Reviews
from $122.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor, and Bath with...
2,249 Reviews
from $112.50*
Best Seller
London Harry Potter Tour of Warner...
746 Reviews
from $102.40*
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,705 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Edinburgh to London

Trains on that route are run by East Coast: http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/

My preference is during the week when the trains are quieter during the day, and if you travel First Class you get better complementary food and drink.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Edinburgh to London

It's too early yet to buy tickets at other than inflated prices, so hang on for now. Another month or so depending on when in June

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/ would be the best place to book

Days don't matter all that much - but the availability of cheap tickets will be greater midweek

Sutton England
Level Contributor
15 posts
593 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Edinburgh to London

The earliest you can book tickets is normally 13 weeks in advance, book tickets from main terminal to main terminal rather that to another suburban station in london, they wanted £63 extra on a London-Docaster retrun when I put in my local stattion rather than Kings X

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,038 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Edinburgh to London

It's worth noting that, on the East Coast website, you can sign up for an e-mail alert which lets you know when the Advance fares for your date of travel have become available.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Edinburgh to London

<<, book tickets from main terminal to main terminal rather that to another suburban station in london, they wanted £63 extra on a London-Docaster retrun when I put in my local stattion rather than Kings X>>

That's a false generalisation - in some cases it can be cheaper to include the local station. You need to check both if you have onward travel

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Edinburgh to London

get a seat on the left hand side for the best views coming down.

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
2 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Edinburgh to London

Thanks for ALL replys!!! All very helpful : )

8. Re: Train from Edinburgh to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 13, 2014