We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London bus question , thanks

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
268 posts
1 review
Save Topic
London bus question , thanks

Wonder if the stops are announced or shown on a screen of some sort as the buses pass the stops , other cities and here at home in Canada do wonder what London currently doesn't, very helpful so you kow when to get off when you are in an. Unfamiliar area

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London bus question , thanks

Yes they do have an electronic stop display and itisvery helpful, but it's also wise to follow the journey on a map

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London bus question , thanks

Usually a electronic board at the front of the bus and an automated announcement as to the next stop.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London bus question , thanks

All the buses I use regularly in Zone 1 seem to have a display upstairs and downstairs and an announcement. The only thing I have noticed is that the stops often use the name of a side-street, so it would be good to have a map with you.

I often hear people asking the driver where to get off a bus (or fellow passengers). Most passengers will try to help.

Have fun negotiating the bus network!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London bus question , thanks

All buses in London have TFL's iBus system, which provides announcements - both the route and the next stop. There are also several smartphone apps which provide real-time information, as does TFL's own website. Main stops also have "next bus" indicators.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,391 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London bus question , thanks

streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10_2… You'll see countdown boards like this at many central London bus stops. Most of the time they are accurate but sometimes the indicator will show your bus four or five minutes away as it's wheeling up to the stop. In short, keep an eye on the board and on the buses coming along the road to be sure you don't miss your transport.

…123rf.com/400wm/400/400/anizza/anizza1108/a… You can see the electronic stop display on the upper right side of this picture, above the tip up seat and hiding a bit behind the hand grips. These displays are on most buses and work most of the time.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London bus question , thanks

As well as the useful photos in post 5, have a look at the video below from inside a bus.

You can hear the well spoken automatic announcements and see the digital display.

www.youtube.com/watch…

Islington, England...
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London bus question , thanks

dont bother asking the bus drivers, they are an arrogant bunch most of them, most of them won't even answer you, they just drive on and let you talk to yourself, it's embarrassing that they are part of representing our country

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,037 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London bus question , thanks

Jacquie, you're certainly not very cheerful, are you?

The only time I've noticed no monitors for the stops is on the Routemasters (which I think I've only taken on the #15 route). The newer buses have all had monitors.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,391 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London bus question , thanks

Post seven seems to have been written by someone in a parallel universe. At a rough estimate, 85 - 90% of drivers I've come across will make an effort to help passengers. Some will call out stops, even though Ms Pleasant Voice (heard in the link Adam-Chance posted) does so as well.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,244 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: London bus question , thanks

I use the bus as primary transport in this town and have never had a problem with a driver.

Come and enjoy.