We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport x-ray machines

Dunedin,Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Airport x-ray machines

Going to London on Sunday :) I'm taking a laptop computer, Ipod, digital camera, digital video camera,and cell phone. What items can I put thru the airport machine? I want to carry on all of these items because I obviously don't want to put in my luggage in case it gets lost. Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,358 Reviews
from $131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,128 Reviews
from $139.80*
$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
515 Reviews
from $118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from $349.20*
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport x-ray machines

Good question middle ~> I for one don't put my camera. However, we're taking a lap top this time and would also like to have some input on that topic.

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport x-ray machines

I've taken all of these, not necessarily at the same time, through airport x-ray devices. Usually the Laptop has to be out of any bag that you are carrying it in. I've not had any problems, so you shouldn't need to worry.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,338 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport x-ray machines

I take my laptop to and from the US and London frequently, and have never had a problem with it going through the screening machine for carry-on luggage.

My iPod and mobile phone also go through the machines in all countries without incident, as do digital cameras. You shouldn't have any problems.

MJT
London
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport x-ray machines

I have at one point or another put all the above listed items through an airport scanner and have not had any data damaged at all. You should be fine putting them through

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,464 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport x-ray machines

All of the items you mention can go through the Xray machines safely. You will have to remove your laptop from its bag if you leave the UK via LHR or LGW, though.

For those of us who still use film cameras, film up to 800 ISO is safe in cameras, but anything faster than that should be hand checked. I've never had any problems getting the security staff to examine my film canisters.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport x-ray machines

Since you have to remove your laptop from your bag and hand it to the TSA, I now keep mine in a clear plastic bag with handles, makes it so much simpler. I was given this plastic bag to put thr laptop in at some airport (don't remember which one) and I keep using it. Works great and you don't feel like you're going to drop it.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport x-ray machines

Great responses. FSM is that a zip lock bag with string through it? What is the benefit of having a clear plastic bag?

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport x-ray machines

You will probably be asked to turn your laptop on to prove that it is actually just a laptop

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport x-ray machines

No string, Onward, just a completely clear plastic bag with handles. That way the TSA's can look and see that it is actually a computer and send it through the x-ray machine somewhat protected.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport x-ray machines

"Most agree that putting digital cameras and memory cards through airport x-ray machines does not cause any harm. There is some concern about metal-detectors, particularly hand-held wands used by airport personnel if you fail the detector test.

Digital media are affected by magnetic devices, not x-rays. Airports signs warn about x-ray damage to film - not digital equipment. Some believe you should avoid the powerful magnets in the drive motors of conveyor belts. They recommend placing your camera as far away from the beginning of belt as possible."