We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick > Victoria Station Advance Ticket Purchase

Calgary
Level Contributor
46 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick > Victoria Station Advance Ticket Purchase

Lots of questions posted for Gatwick trains but did not see these.

1. An advance online round trip ticket is available off-peak for £13. Is this a significant deduct for that available for a same day purchase at the station? If I can purchase the same ticket at the station for say £14, I would probably do that. Similarly, would an advance ticket purchase to Portsmouth be a sigificant saving over that purchased at the station.

2. Can you purchase an advance ticket that can be used on any day? Example - If I discover that Westminister Abbey has an event scheduled (therefore closed to visitors) I might want to change the day of travel into London, switching days with our Portsmouth plan mentioned above. I am not seeing a way to do that on the Southern Rail site.

Thanks,

Jerry

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,087 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick > Victoria Station Advance Ticket Purchase

Advance tickets are not flexible.

You can buy off-peak tickets on the day if you want to have flexibility. However there is not an 'undated' ticket you can buy.

I hope this helps.

London
Level Contributor
12,013 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick > Victoria Station Advance Ticket Purchase

Not clear where your journeys are originating from? Are you making Gatwick your base...?

Level Contributor
3,772 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick > Victoria Station Advance Ticket Purchase

You can't have your cake and eat it I'm afraid.

Advance tickets are cheap because you can only catch 1 train, any changes mean a new ticket.

Your best bet is to get it on the day if your plans may change. The cost of needing increased flexibility is a higher price

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,711 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick > Victoria Station Advance Ticket Purchase

Advances can be changed (date and time only) but there is a £10 fee charged per ticket.

Edited: 2:25 pm, January 14, 2013
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,711 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick > Victoria Station Advance Ticket Purchase

Oh and that's plus whatever the difference in price is.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick > Victoria Station Advance Ticket Purchase

I've just bought a peak return on Southern Trains this morning, even at peak time it was £16.40 altogether so the difference is not huge and it's fully flexible meaning you can catch any train that day.

It's a journey I have to do a fair bit these days and I've only ever bought on the day.

Edited: 2:45 pm, January 14, 2013
Calgary
Level Contributor
46 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick > Victoria Station Advance Ticket Purchase

Thank you to all for your replies. We have been to London before so are only taking a couple of days this time before heading north by car. We will be staying for 3 days near Gatwick, 2 days to London and the third to Portsmouth.

The only return tickets offered on the Southern site were £13 return off peak or almost the same one way peak. Knowing that it is only around £16 return at the station, I will buy my tickets there.

8. Re: Gatwick > Victoria Station Advance Ticket Purchase

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 16, 2014