We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pay Before You Board on Buses

canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Pay Before You Board on Buses

Just confirming I was looking at the Transport for london for direction on a bus route but it say "Pay Before You Board" If I am having a Travel Card will I be able to use these buses or can you only use Oyster cards

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,227 reviews
from $140.97*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,952 reviews
from $145.12*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
509 reviews
from $98.13*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
812 reviews
from $98.13*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,877 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pay Before You Board on Buses

All Travelcards - whether paper tickets or those loaded on Oyster cards - are good for use on London buses in zones 1 - 6. If you plan to use a paper Travelcard then show it to the driver when you board; if you plan to buy a Travelcard loaded on Oyster you'll find a touch pad at the driver's cabin on most* buses: …dooyoo.co.uk/GB_EN/orig/0/5/8/0/3/580320.jpg

*Conductors on Routemasters carry handheld Oyster readers.

London
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pay Before You Board on Buses

Yes, just to clarify, for most bus routes it is still possible to pay the driver with good old fashioned Cash (make sure you have the correct change), though I rarely see anyone without an Oyster card these days. Certain bus routes do not accept cash, you have the option to buy a one time paper ticket from a machine at the bus stop before boarding. All buses will accept Oyster and Travel cards.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pay Before You Board on Buses

Also don't forget contactless debit cards are starting to be accepted to.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pay Before You Board on Buses

In general i is buses in central London that do not accept cash, even routes where the drier will take it further out. The cue is that on the bus stops the route numbers have a yellow background if cash is not taken.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,877 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pay Before You Board on Buses

Here are examples of the different bus stop signs: …staticflickr.com/61/193270047_e31ca08ffb_z.… and fushmush.net/i/…IMG_0032.JPG

And here is the ticket machine to which EalingBlue referred: …photographersdirect.com/img/…pd3195594.jpg

Edited: 3:08 pm, December 19, 2012
canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pay Before You Board on Buses

Thanks for you help

Cambridge
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pay Before You Board on Buses

Travel and Oyster cards can both be used, buses don't accept cash nowadays, I think it's on the memo. If you don't have the card, you're required to pay for the paper ticket to be onboard.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,877 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pay Before You Board on Buses

Drivers on buses outside the city centre will accept cash fares. I was a little surprised last month and in the summer the number of people I saw (five or six in as many days in November and twice that in June) who hadn't topped up their Oyster cards and paid cash fares as until then it had been a very rare sight.

Drivers still board buses with cash containers. Aldgate bus station is a driver changeover point for the 15 and 25, with the jingle of a cash box part of the process.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,365 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pay Before You Board on Buses

Yes, I'm usually mildly surprised these days when I see someone paying cash on a bus - apparently less than 2% of passengers now do so. I can imagine that, as contactless bank cards become the norm, drivers will cease to accept cash fares.

Already some of the roadside ticket machines are being taken out of use, as some of them cost more to run than they actually take in fares.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,856 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pay Before You Board on Buses

It's a rare day and a rare bus when at least one person doesn't pay by cash on a (central London ) bus these days. And it's always my bus, grrrrr! It's in the suburbs IME, that drivers insist on a paper ticket, forcing the gormless one to try and fiddle with a ticket machine at the bus stop, although at least nowadays the drivers do not usually wait for them.

Presumably this is why TFL is so keen to move to contactless payment.