We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late journey on tube from Paddington

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Late journey on tube from Paddington

We've got the chance of cheap rail tickets which will get us into Paddington station at 11.20pm. We would then need to get the tube to Tower Hill that night. Assuming the train is on time ... do we have enough time to do it before the last train stops?? And it would be a Sunday evening too. Are we taking too much of a gamble?!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,877 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late journey on tube from Paddington

Last train via Kings Cross leaves Paddington (Hammersmith & City Line platform 16) at 23.24 on Sundays.

Last Circle Line train via Victoria leaves Paddington (Circle Line platform) at 23.42 on Sundays.

If you miss these, bus route 205 runs between Paddington and Aldgate (5-10 minutes' walk from Tower Hill) 24 hours a day.

Edited: 10:46 am, December 06, 2012
St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late journey on tube from Paddington

That's so helpful. Thank you very much! As long as I have a clue as to which bus to catch if we're a bit late, then I have no worries. We'll go for it. Thanks again wirewiper.

Sue

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,223 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late journey on tube from Paddington

What date is this? There may be engineering work meaning the line is closed on Sundays. You can check under live travel news on the TFL site. If this is the case the 205 bus mentioned is an alternative.

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…default.html

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late journey on tube from Paddington

We're not travelling until early February, so hopefully the engineering work will be sorted, but I'll have that bus number in my head because I'm fully expecting the train to come in late anyway ;) Many thanks.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,223 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late journey on tube from Paddington

so hopefully the engineering work will be sorted,

=================================================

I'm afraid this is regular upgrading work that's been going on for at least 6 years, so it's not going away any time soon!. Having said that there should be at least one line working that route and you have the bus as back up.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,911 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late journey on tube from Paddington

Later in the evening, the 205 might be a quicker journey than the Underground from Paddington. Here is the spider map showing the stop in Praed Street (walk up the ramp from the station, turn left at Praed Street) tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…paddington-2201.pdf

Alight at St Botolph Street for Tower Hill. What is your destination near Tower Hill? tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/aldg…

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late journey on tube from Paddington

Thank you TravellerPlus. I usually prefer the tube to buses, simply because it is so well signposted for those of us who don't have a clue where we are going, but I'm pretty sure that by the time we have purchased our tickets, it's going to be too late for that, so all this advice really is invaluable and the maps are very helpful too. We're heading to the Minories area.

London
Level Contributor
9,557 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late journey on tube from Paddington

All London buses have GPS, with visible and audible announcements of next stop. Just look / listen out for the St Botolphs stop.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,911 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late journey on tube from Paddington

The Minories is a short walk from the bus stop. It's quicker to follow the curve of the road (as if you were continuing on the bus, eastbound towards Whitechapel), cross to the south side of Aldgate High Street, turn right as if you were going to the bus station, then left at the Minories (there's a branch of EAT at the junction).

If you're going to the Hotel Indigo it's on the right, almost opposite the entrance to the bus station. The Hotel Chamberlain is on the right, about a minute's walk beyond the Indigo. If the Travelodge in Goodman's Yard,walk to the end of the Minories, follow the curve in the road (just past Starbucks) and you'll see the hotel as you cross the junction.

It's no more than a five minute walk from the bus stop to the TL, with the Hotel Indigo and the Chamberlain even nearer. I know the area well, and have never worried about walking from the bus stop, even at a very late hour.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Late journey on tube from Paddington

You've all been so helpful. Thank you very much!

Edited: 3:07 pm, December 06, 2012